The Sewing Place

Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans

SewRuthieSews

Re: Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2022, 21:10:05 PM »
@b15erk, I agree,  having a large derriere it doesn't really need any extra ornamentation and I don't use the rear pockets for anything even when I put them on. I know I'd sit on my phone or something if I put it in there.
I do use front pockets a lot for phone, keys, reading glasses or coin purse. I suppose the coin purse could go in the back.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 17:39:54 PM »
I'm going to start on the dark blue denim with gold topstitching!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »
I finished the dark blue denim jeans last night and am wearing them today.

Generally they are great, a good length, plenty of back rise, soft round the tummy.
They are slightly loose on the waist, specifically the back waist (I need the front) and it would be interesting to alter that as the elastic is sewn in and the waist seam is serged - maybe I should change the construction slightly on the next pair to make access to the waist easier.

I shall now put all the uncomfortable RTW jeans in the donation bag.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2022, 17:14:49 PM »
Old RTW donated, now getting out the unpicker to tweak the mountain view jeans just a bit.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2022, 17:21:49 PM »
Very productive - and how nice to have a pattern that fits you.  I gave up making (poorly fitting!) jeans when I discovered that Debenhams cheap ones were a good fit for me - but now of course Debenhams aren't the same shop...

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2022, 18:14:34 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I bought all my work trousers from Debenhams - basically the same trouser style in various colours.
Then menopause came so don't think any of them fit anymore, maybe time to donate them.

Took the last 45 mins to unpick enough of the overlocking, 2 lots of straight stitching and a load of zig zagging to be able to shorten the elastic by 2 inches and resew it all back together. That has now eliminated that little back gap I had and the jeans are staying up better.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2022, 14:49:52 PM »
Finished blue jeans, a bit crumpled as I wore them yesterday

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2022, 14:58:52 PM »
close up of the pockets

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 15:06:51 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Celia

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2022, 09:57:34 AM »
Really like these, I think I might have to look at making something similar, I usually wear jeggings but feel I am getting a bit too old as although I don’t wear them skin tight they do tend to look that way.   
The pattern doesn’t give the width around the leg hem could you let us know @SewRuthieSews
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 10:01:13 AM by Celia »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2022, 14:40:09 PM »
Hi @Celia, the lower legs are straight but instructions are included for how to taper them to your preference.
I did not taper them as I wanted a fuller lower leg, I think it balances me better than a skinnier leg.

I made a size 16 in this pattern (prob an 18 UK) which has a 20" hem circumference.
The size 8 for example seems to be about 3 inches narrower on the leg, so more like 17" hem circumference.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2022, 17:01:35 PM »
@Celia it’s easy to change the width of trousers provided the rest fits ok.  :)

Celia

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2022, 19:00:49 PM »
Thank you @SewRuthieSews and @Ohsewsimple I just sometimes find the balance gets thrown out when I change the legs too much, I know it’s probably me, I think they may be ok but I am going to check what else I have already Opps I do tend to forget.

Ellabella

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2022, 21:30:58 PM »
Oh I do like a pretty pocket bag, even you are the only one that knows it is there.

Ploshkin

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2022, 08:25:27 AM »
.Oh I do like a pretty pocket bag, even you are the only one that knows it is there.
Me too.  I generally use it for the waistband facing too.  It helps to cut down bulk and makes it easier to sew.
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2022, 10:05:36 AM »
The waistband on this needs to be stretchy, so could only use the fat quarter for the pocket linings.
But if you were tight on fabric the inner waistband on this could be from some other stretchy fabric.

I am loving wearing my jeans, must get a photo for you at some point!