The Sewing Place

Trouser fitting for a pear shape

b15erk

Re: Trouser fitting for a pear shape
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
It's looking good Susana!

You have a lot of patience.  One toile - and only if I've lost/gained weight is all I usually manage!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BajaSusana

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 15:19:52 PM »
 :trousers: My pants fitting is done for now! It has been a long, arduous journey. I had a corneal transplant  in April. I was up and sewing very soon after the surgery. High energy. good spirits. then things started to go south.

While I was fitting these pants, I found myself near tears, and not wanting to go forward. :'(

I had gone thought this process with Sarah Veblen once before and I knew that the  end result would be wonderful. But the journey was so bleak, I almost gave up.

Then I started checking the side effects of one of my eye drop prescriptions.
 They cause depression, mind fog, and lethargy!  My doc immediately prescribed something different. And although it will take time for the drops to clear my system. I felt better knowing that I was not going crazy!

Anyway. Here are my last four pictures of my pants fitting. :trousers:

1. Notice the camel toe in front. Sarah  identified the issue immediately. I had pulled the pants up too high. I just dropped them 1/4" and voila! That would be foto 2.

So here is the front dropped 1/4". Note that the sides are pin-tapered.

I had cut the pants down, and went too far, so I added 2" at the waistband. I will be fixing that today. And I will taper the sides.

Here are two back fotos.
 I had made the original two darts according to Sarah's first requirements. Then the pants were too tight. One dart was released.
 Finally I made two 1/2" darts and a third (out of view) 3/8" dart.
  Pants back 1  pulled up too high and with a bit of a pucker ( careless stitching).

Here is back 2. This is my final with the sides pinned.

These are not as perfect as they could be. the pucker will be removed. I like my pants on the loose side. Our climate demands clothing that allows air flow.
I think that having asthma makes me want to wear un-constricted clothing.  I feel like I am breathing better. And I prefer natural fibers.
 I have lost over 3" on my hips and a good 10 lbs during this process. i have decided that these are good enough for now.
 I have about 30 lbs to go. My weight is redistributing and my shape is changing.
 I need pants, shorts and Capris  I think these will work well.
 the fabric is a denim like twill. My cotton and linen pants will look better.

Today I am going to copy my working pattern and note the changes. I shall make separate patterns for pants, shorts and Capris. I made a sorry mess out of my other pattern.
 Sarah is patient and has an amazing eye. My DH has been a wonderful assistant and photographer.
 I will make some garments in my final fabric and show them off here.

I hope that this has helped and or inspired you.

UttaRetch

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »
Ugh Susan, I would have abandoned this project long ago 'depressing' eye drops notwithstanding.  I have far too many awkward body parts to even consider making trousers.  I hope you end up with a 'good enough' end product.  :flower:

Sewingsue

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »
I am full of admiration for your determination, Susan.
I would have given up long ago.
Thank you for sharing.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BajaSusana

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 14:01:07 PM »
Feeling virtuous because I made separate patterns for shorts, Capris and pants. I preserved my tissue pattern. And my working velum is also folded and put away. Today I shall start with pink linen bottoms. Then white, then black.
I shall try to complete something today and post it here.
I had to keep going because I paid Sarah for her time. And my pants and shorts are not only showing wear, but they are TOO BIG!

BajaSusana

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 23:06:37 PM »
Here are my completed pink linens Capris made from the Eureka Pants That Fit project! This is after sitting in them for 2.5 hours!
They are kind with a fine almost batiste cotton.
I lost weight during the process and had to take them in 2.75" .
I will post again with a better unstretched backview.

Looks like I will have to,post f of my PC a little later
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 23:09:26 PM by BajaSusana »

b15erk

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »
Really impressed with your persistence Susanna!  Look forward to seeing your pics....

I've lost about the same amount of weight as you, and I'm finding that my trousers are hanging off me....

What were the main adjustments you had to make?  Mine seem to be in the rear end - my padding has gone!  OH doesn't like the 'baggy bum'!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BajaSusana

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 16:25:58 PM »
Okay! I am at the PC and I can upload my photos. These are after two days of  wearing and a lot of sitting around this is how they look!

And here is a composite. The top is a Pamela's Patterns perfect tee in lace, the tank is Pamela's in pink. The pants are loose in front as well because of being worn twice and sitting in a meeting for 2.5 hours.
 They have been laundered and I shall wear them today and take nice photos of crisply ironed Capris!

I have pink pants cut out,pink shorts almost done  and I am going to make some black with the same basic Hollywood waist and one with Sarah's trouser adaptation of slant pockets and fly front.
I always make all three lengths in the same color and then tops to mix and match.

We have a hurricane (small) threatening us right now. I want to cram in as much sewing as I can before we batten down which means all patio furniture is packed into my sewing room! The sewing room was designed to handle this mess. But no room then for sewing. But if the power goes out, no sewing anyway.
The generator could handle the sewing room and AC, but I would feel very selfish using it for that!

Sewingsue

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 17:03:28 PM »
Stay safe BS.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BajaSusana

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2017, 16:26:57 PM »
Here are my pink linen shorts made from the same pattern. I have not even worn them until this moment.
I am continuing to lose weight, so i will not have a perfect Fit, but I am pleased with these.
 Front:

Back

The top is a Lutterloh top with princess seams and a Dior dart.

AnneFrances

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 15:52:46 PM »
That's truly impressive. You really have got an excellent fit and the combination looks pretty, cool and comfortable.  And congratulations on the weight loss too. What a result!
Anne

b15erk

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 16:54:22 PM »
They are fab!  I love your lace T's as well - my lace is still in the stash!

Take care during the hurricane, and stay safe.

Jessie

Sewbee

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 21:40:19 PM »
Susan, I commend you for your efforts. The trousers and shorts look really good on you!

I need to go through the same exercise. I have a similar shape in the hops but Noah's the, unlike you. I'd get so frustrated and end up giving up, I know it.

When I go to buy RTW trousers if they fit in the hips they are far too wide in the leg especially at the ankle. I can't win.