The Sewing Place

My first project ever

SewMeSome

My first project ever
« on: March 05, 2022, 15:46:19 PM »
    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   Hi all , Bit of context- I only started sewing later in life during the lockdown. I had never done any before but found a bit of time and wanted to give it a go.

I started with a winter hat. I used an old recycled Harris Tweed jacket for the main body of the cap, and it's red lining to line the hat.

I don't mean to offend anyone (and I certainly love animals and would never harm animals), but I got some rabbit pelts from the butchers to make the ear flaps and peak. I figured that ethically they were a 'by-product' and might just be thrown away if no one bought them- but I understand if you disagree with that and we will just have to agree to disagree politely?

Anyway- I didn't finish it very well as it was hard to get through the thick materials and then the fur was a bit trickey too. And I learned a lot for the next one.

But, I wear it, it's a bit tatty , but it does the job I intended it to do and I loved the process of creating and making. I used a pattern I found on-line.

EDIT- Just remembered that I covered that stool the hat sits on- that was technically my first sewing project! But I used a staple gun, and no sewing was involved

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]      
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 15:56:00 PM by SewMeSome »

Deafoldbat

Re: My first project ever
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 19:05:32 PM »
I figured that ethically they were a 'by-product' and might just be thrown away

And of course when the hat wears out they can be composted, unlike synthetic 'fur'. I shall now don my helmet and flak jacket... ;)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 21:26:23 PM »
That's great.  And a good use of a by-product  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 21:36:41 PM »
For a first sewing project that is actually quite a complicated, and probably fiddly item.  Well done.

The fur looks quite blue - did you dye it or is it a trick of the lighting?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewMeSome

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 22:18:51 PM »
No, I didn't do anything to the fur, that's natural. It is a wonderful colour that changes in different light and depending on which way you brush your hand over it. It is lovely on the ears and keeps them very warm

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 22:22:31 PM »
Well done @SewMeSome it looks lovely and warm.
Willing but not always able :)

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 23:02:26 PM »
It shows more respect to the rabbit to use more of it. No complaints, here.  :thumb:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

William

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »
Wow! For a first project you certainly picked a more challenging project than usual - and did a vary good job. Bravo  :thumb:
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

SewMeSome

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 10:39:12 AM »
Thank you William - that's the one good thing about being a total novice, you aren't put off when you look at a pattern as you have no idea what it means or how hard it might be :D
I just made it through with will power of not giving up and wanting to complete it no matter what.
I've just started knitting and it feels the same way.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 13:32:41 PM »
Great job there! Good idea to use the bunny rabbit fur - I presume it had been er, dealt with  to make it not all gloopy?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SewMeSome

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 13:39:27 PM »
Oh yes. I thin they were scraped and salted before they got to me

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 21:25:40 PM »
It looks great and is a good use of thre materials. @SewMeSome is it nice & warm?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

SewMeSome

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 21:34:48 PM »
I can honestly say that it is the warmest hat I ever owned , especially around the ears.

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 21:54:50 PM »
Very stylish hat. Your avatar is the Bernina 730 - I sold mine in lockdown - they're great machines.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SewMeSome

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 22:25:43 PM »
@Lachica It is the 707 Minimatic. I only just took up sewing on lockdown and read they were quite sturdy and I liked the look of it and fell in love with vintage Bernina. Every week I have to fight the urge to go on eBay and Gumtree and buy another one.

I did a bit of fixing on it as it has been left un-loved for a while. I now have a good routine of cleaning and oiling and generally looking after it.

If anyone is interested I found a wonderful enamel touch up paint that matches the colour almost exactly and did a good job sprucing it it