The Sewing Place

A very lightweight back pack made from recycled tent

SewMeSome

A very lightweight back pack made from recycled tent
« on: March 05, 2022, 16:01:18 PM »

Hi all - this was my second ever project. I used an old tent that the poles had been lost for.

I used a pattern I bought off a web site and only had to buy the foam for the straps, and some 1" strapping. The rest was from the tent.

I found the very light weight material hard to stop from slipping about and I made quite a mess of it, and realised that I rushed it, and should have been more precise when cutting out.

It was a learning process and I have used the bag a couple of times and gives me pride to think I made it

I have now started a heavier and more complicated version with zip pocket on the hood. I will post that in a separate post

Thanks for looking - sorry about the poor pictures, it's hard to photograph an empty lightweight bag- maybe I should have filled it with clothes in order to get a better picture.

ps this picture was before I cut off all my threads - it looks so scruffy I know, but I did tidy it up eventually

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 16:02:54 PM by SewMeSome »

Ohsewsimple

Re: A very lightweight back pack made from recycled tent
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 22:17:44 PM »
That’s a great idea.  Love a bit of recycling.  And it looks great.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 09:28:19 AM »
Great idea!  I'm struggling to see how the shape of that is though, can you do a pic with it stuffed full?

SewMeSome

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
Yes, I will pack it full of stuff and take a shot.

This was my 'almost completed' photo for my family when I did it. I'll go and take better ones now, with the thread ends tidied up too :D