The Sewing Place

Looking to make socks...

SewMeSome

Looking to make socks...
« on: March 05, 2022, 20:26:11 PM »
I am hoping that I can make some socks. I have never knitted or crocheted

I have looked at so many videos that I am now a bit confused about what I need to start. There seem to be lots of different techniques and names of things

1) a pattern
2)some yarn
and then what needles or things do I need for a beginner to make basic pair of socks please?

Celia

Re: Looking to make socks...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 20:43:26 PM »
We do have a sock thread that might help, have a read and maybe post any questions on there, we are all here to help you.
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,13348.0.html

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 20:56:27 PM »
Knitting Squirrel website has an excellent and detailed 4 part tutorial for beginner sock knitters.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 21:12:52 PM »
Socks can be knit top down or toe up. As you have never knitted before, you definitely want to start at the top as that is the easy bit with no shaping!

You might want to try a simpler shape like some dk or heavier weight wristwarmers, to start with until you get used to handling the needles and develop the muscle memory to do both knit and purl stitches with even tension and no dropped stitches. Also gives you a chance to experiment with different needle types to see what you're most comfortable with - some of us use double pointed needles and some use long circulars.

Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewMeSome

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 21:20:01 PM »
Many thanks for pointers all!

realale

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 08:28:01 AM »
Have a look at Winwick mum. She does a sock knit along for beginners both video and written tutorial with pictures. Her basic sock pattern is also free. She is the one I used at the end of last year to get me sock knitting. I found her very good.
So many beers, so little time.