The Sewing Place

FOR SALE :- Small light bulbs for outdoors use

Elnnina

FOR SALE :- Small light bulbs for outdoors use
« on: March 06, 2022, 12:03:07 PM »
I have 10 Crompton Sign Lamps 15W bayonet fitting that says on the box suitable for outside festoon lighting.  I had thought they would be suitable for sewing machines but apparently not.  It also says on the box not  suitable for indoor illumination.

This was a mistake online purchase – my husband ordered the wrong sort of small light bulb, and they are just sitting in a cupboard doing nothing.  Has anyone got outside lighting that could use these bulbs?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 07:51:04 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

Re: FOR SALE :- Small light bulbs for outdoors use
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 07:53:24 AM »
If they are ok for outdoor use .. why arent they ok for indoor use?????  :thinking:

I'd understand the warning being the other way round ... NOT suitable for outdoor use ... but ??????

I use these light bulbs in amber for my Art Deco mask light and the lights on my bedside tables ...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:03:09 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

Re: FOR SALE :- Small light bulbs for outdoors use
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 11:28:51 AM »
Imi the reason we bought these lamps was exactly like what you have, a lamp that needed a small bulb.  However I have to admit apart from this bulb being the wrong size with regards to the width of the bayonet fitting, the writing on the back of the box is small and takes some reading.

Of course this was bought via the internet - do not know who now, and the box of 10 are shrunk wrapped in a long pack, and of course it was not until one box was taken out of the outer wrapping did we find out that it would not fit into the lamp, so we had to go and buy yet another long strip of 10.

The bayonet fitting on the box of lamps I cannot use is silver colour and rather chunky, whereas the other bulbs that I can use are brass coloured and are much thinner.

You are welcome to the ones that have the chunkier fitting if you think they will fit in your lamps.

Incidentally there is the same writing on the box about being suitable for outdoor use and not indoor illumination.  However these are from Crompton, who I think are well known for their light bulbs - perhaps they are telling us something we don't know.  I have to say the light this small lamp gives out is more than adequate for what we wanted it for.  (A few years ago I got spooked by lights being flashed outside our bedroom window in the middle of the night, we are a long way back from the road with a lot of garden shrubs/trees/bushes between us and the road, and of course no street lighting, so now we have a light of some sort in strategic places to make it look as if someone is in that room, and overnight we make sure there are no windows left open at all - it is a bungalow.  Over the years people all around us have been burgled so we are not taking any chances)