The Sewing Place

Curtain weights - how heavy?

Emerion

Curtain weights - how heavy?
« on: March 07, 2022, 11:39:30 AM »
Hello,

I’m going to hem some medium weight, thermal backed curtains. They don’t quite reach the ground, so adding weight with a thick hem is not an option. I’m going to use some weights, and could do with an idea of how much weight per corner. Some of the curtains are made from one width of fabric. Some have 2 pieces joined side by side. I’m assuming I need another weight at the bottom of each join? I’m willing to try trial and error, but I can see this taking ages as I have no idea what I’m doing. Any thoughts?
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

b15erk

Re: Curtain weights - how heavy?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 11:44:33 AM »
I got the weights for my voiles on a strip @Emerion , and they do the job very well.  In my case, it was to stop the curtain blowing through the patio door when it was open, and it does that.  I think mine came from Amazon, and they have it in different weights.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Emerion

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 12:16:32 PM »
Thank you, but I already have some weights. I wish I’d bought a strip now, but I’ve got what I’ve got. I think they are 20g or so each.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 12:27:42 PM »
Would it be possible to make your own strip, with pockets for the weights at intervals.  That way, if it seems too heavy, you can take one out, without interfering with the curtain.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 12:33:17 PM »
I have done the pocket thing in the past. On medium weight cotton with a standard lining I put two 2p coins in each pocket as it was cheaper than buying weights!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 12:35:38 PM »
When I relined (read remade) the full length dining room velvet curtains I was advised by an elderly lady who used to make curtains professionally for Mostyns all her adult life.

She said the only weights you need are the penny weights, one in each corner of bottom hem. In the olden times penny weights were exactly that ... an old penny from the pre-decimalisation era.

I have the 'run' of weights too which are meant to be used on lightweight curtains such as net and voile.

Ive sewn them into the netting that gets thrown over the greenhouse roof to shade the plants inside from the midday sun
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:38:02 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Emerion

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 13:31:56 PM »
Thanks everyone, that’s really useful  :)