The Sewing Place

Lets talk new machines

sewmuchmore

Lets talk new machines
« on: March 07, 2022, 17:35:22 PM »
I have some money that i have inherited and don't want to fritter it away on something and nothing so thinking of buying a new machine so every time i  sit to sew i can think of her.
The machines i have in mind are Pfaff performance Icon
The Janome continental
And Bernia 790

I had the first Janome Memory Craft computerised machine for over 25 years and when she gave up the ghost moved to Pfaff, my current machine is the QE 4.2
The machines in classroom were all Berninas so i know they are work horses.

Does anyone have one of the machines i am looking at? or any thought on them.
Unfortunately the sewing machines shops near me don't have a big selection (and definitely not the top end machines) so i cannot try them out.

Amended, to my knowledge the Bernina B790 is a sewing only machine but the description gives the impression it is sewing and embroidery or am i wrong?

Plus i have lots of extra Pfaff feet which would fit the Pfaff Performance, am i talking myself into it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 17:48:37 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bumblebuncher

Re: Lets talk new machines
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 17:40:05 PM »
I have no knowledge but just wanted to say
I had to go get a bucket to collect all my drool after looking at them  :o
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 17:51:09 PM »
I think that if you're spending a considerable amount and the fact that it's an inheritance it would be worth either driving or using the rail network to go and try the machines that you're interested in. It would awful for you to be remembering the person who bequeathed you the money if you were not gelling with the machine you'd chosen.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 17:52:52 PM »
Also only here to drool  :love:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 18:11:17 PM »
Those machines cost more than my first house.....mind you that was in 1971  :laughing:
If you're familiar with Pfaff and already have some extras....... :thinking:.....
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bill

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 18:31:04 PM »
The bernette 79 is a sewing/embroidery machine. Any slim chance you could be mistaking the 790 for that?

I could possibly drool over those, but I've just bought my dream machine  :D
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 18:31:47 PM »
I’d also try and get a demo of them.  Lots of money to spend and get it wrong. 

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 19:11:04 PM »
Although the Pfaff is the prettiest colour (says she who has the baby sister of this in the very pretty colour)  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 19:24:19 PM »
The Sewing for Pleasure show is at the NEC next week if you can get to Birmingham.
https://www.sewingshow.co.uk/

Pfaff and Janome are in the exhibitor list, but not Bernina, however the list might not be up to date. Often at these shows, exhibitors have the top of the range machines to show off and to try to tempt people.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 19:45:52 PM »
Pfaff is pretty  @sewmuchmore  very pretty but you already have one, not as many stitches. I'd be very tempted by that Continental; got muscle, lots of muscle.

I moved from  Janome MC to Pfaff and never regretted it but Janome have always had a reputation for reliability.  Look at the reviews for both and have a good feel at the goods.  Sometimes it's just one thing that makes your mind up. What ever one you get, enjoy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 20:10:38 PM »
I have a 7 Series Bernina but not the 790 because I didn't want a 9mm foot. Mine has over 650 different stitches but I only use about 6 of them! Having said that, I love the machine but would never have bought it without trying it first. So I agree with others who have said it's an awful lot of money to spend on a machine you've never tried out. I would've thought it's worth a day out somewhere to a larger dealer who has these machines that you can test. :)

Didn't @twopence just buy a 790 or a 770 maybe?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

twopence

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 20:11:48 PM »
I've just bought the Bernina 770QEE which the quilting edition with the embroidery module.  Looking on Bernina's website it says that the 770 is embroidery enabled meaning that you can buy an embroidery module to add to it but the 790 just says embroidery so I assume that the embroidery module is included in the price.  Hoops etc are also listed as being with the machine.

Not had much chance to play with mine other than making sure that I went through everything when I bought it as my current Horn cabinet doesn't take the weight so a new one's on order and then i can play.  Hopefully I'll have done all the other jobs in the new house by then.

Writing my answer the same time as you @Kenora

Celia

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 21:34:50 PM »
I have used the Pfaff and had a demo on the Janome by one of the Janome demonstrators.

I loved the continental but it is an enormous machine, the Pfaff is lovely also very large but I don’t think it is as heavy do check the dimensions to make sure you are happy. The Janome feels much more of a solid machine and seems to have a bit more oomph if you are working on heavy or difficult fabrics.  I haven’t used the Bernina so no help there.

If I was choosing I would definitely want to try them out also do check out the guarantee and at that level it is important to buy from a really good dealer.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »
Firstly that Janome looks like a BEAST ... and WHY is there a picture of an Oakshott Colourpicks box at the end of the pics???? Is that the inducement ?

The features list for the Bernina 790 does indeed state embroidery module

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

and again further down ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Tho why they make a particular mention of the basting stitch  confuses me ... I dont suppose theyre bigging up the decorative stitches are they ???

But theres no mention in the initial Blurb which leads me to believe that the details list will have been copied and pasted from another machine and not proof read!!!!

Now if I was still the lil devil I use to be in my '20's (and of course had the money and interest in sewing ) I would order the machine and then kick up an almighty stink  that it didnt have an embroidery module and wangle a massive discount on the price!

I would go full Watchdog !!!  :devil:

By the way .. I never knew machines could cost THAT much!!   :faints:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:20:47 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 08:56:37 AM »
The Sewing for Pleasure show is at the NEC next week if you can get to Birmingham.
https://www.sewingshow.co.uk/

Pfaff and Janome are in the exhibitor list, but not Bernina, however the list might not be up to date. Often at these shows, exhibitors have the top of the range machines to show off and to try to tempt people.

I went to the NEC show for years and years up to the very last one pre covid but not sure i can get there next week. I may have to wait for Harrogate in November if i can't find a dealer with a shop.

@Iminei Yes i keep looking at the Janome and it does seem to get bigger every time i look at it. The Bernina blurb does mention all the embroidery hoop/designs etc but it is listed as a sewing machine only. There is a separate embroidery/sewing machine 790e plus listed at £1500 more, on the official Bernina site both are listed as embroidery/sewing machine, very confusing. 
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet