The Sewing Place

Lets talk new machines

Iminei

Re: Lets talk new machines
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2022, 09:08:06 AM »
Odd ... I cant see any reference to any hoops in the Features or Accessary lists ...

I think if you really want to know which it is ... Call the customer service team and get a definitive answer.

One thing ... Do you have a dedicated space for any of these machines? I have to set up and put away each time I sew and The Splurgess and Elvis too are really heavy machines ... Just something to think of!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2022, 09:20:42 AM »
They are mentioned near the bottom of the features list
View stitch out time, thread colours, size and stitches
270 built in embroidery designs
8 built in alphabet fonts
3 embroidery hoops
USB port for design transfer and firmware updates
Programmable foot control
New stitches - includes sideways motion stitches
Touchpen

I have e mailed Bernina to ask them to clarify.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Celia

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »
There is a good Pfaff dealer in Sheffield https://www.directknitandsew.co.uk/ if that helps. In my opinion the Icon is a lovely machine but it is Basie’s on the Embroidery machine and you ar spaying a lot of money for some features that you would not really need on a sewing not embroidery machine.

If you can get to Birmingham I would suggest Frank Nutt https://www.franknutt.co.uk/  Even if you can’t get there they are a good place to deal with by phone and they do have YouTube videos of some of their machines https://youtu.be/PeWL_DccXwQ this is the one for the Janome.

I can’t watch the Janome as that is the machine I would love  :loveit:but realistically I know I wouldn’t use a fraction of what it has on it.  I already have the HD9 and the 6700 so I must not drool  :laughing:

What sort of sewing do you want to use this machine for?

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »
See that now ... God Im so blind!

Well then that is definitely not one random typo so buy it and make sure you get the embroidery module or a HEFTY discount ... Strange thst they dont show the embroidery setup tho'

Ouryve

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 10:09:58 AM »
@Iminei our localish dealer has a golden bernina advertised and it's not even the most expensive machine on their website!
https://www.tullyssewingmachines.co.uk/product/bernina-790-plus-ae/
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 11:37:48 AM »
 :faints: I suppose its that price because it is made from Solid Gold ???

And I did notice the ruler foot (???) with Gold Plating WTF ?

Also ... again there is mention of embroidery *** but no pics of the embroidery module, hoops etc ..

WHAT is it with Bernina being so ambiguous with their advertising ???
Or is it a case if you need to see the accessories you cant afford the machine ????

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 11:57:53 AM »
I think there was a 790 and now it’s a 790 plus.  But it’s not very clear anywhere.  There are videos here which show the 790 plus with embroidery module.
https://sewingmastery.com/bernina-790-plus/

Ouryve

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2022, 12:52:08 PM »
They do have the regular 790 plus listed and all the embroidery bits are mentioned https://www.tullyssewingmachines.co.uk/product/bernina-790-plus/

@sewmuchmore it might be worth a call, though I suspect that at this price point, they would order in. It is a Bernina dealer, though and if they can offer you a try out is a reasonable day trip -straight up the A1 and A19.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2022, 13:21:58 PM »
Ah that link is much more understandable ... but if I was selling these I would offer pics with and without the embroidery module.

@sewmuchmore Whichever you get will you post pics of the unboxing or even a video ???
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 13:25:19 PM by Iminei »

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2022, 14:46:27 PM »
There is a good Pfaff dealer in Sheffield https://www.directknitandsew.co.uk/ if that helps. In my opinion the Icon is a lovely machine b

I think I might get that Pfaff Creative Icon 2 @Celia which has a current price of £500, unless that's the deposit to order and they daren't put the price down.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

KayK

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2022, 14:50:45 PM »
Here's my fourpennorth!

I have seen the Janome Continental up close and personal and it is HUGE.  But, I have the Janome 6700P (its rather smaller brother, but still quite large) and although it sews well, it is a tricksy little beast at times.  I will say that the Janome accessories and feet are not particularly well made or robust, and I don't think would stand up to a lot of very hard work, despite the actual weight/size/speed of the machine.  I am not a lover of it's drop in bobbin.  Yes, it is easier, but the bobbin cases themselves are quite fragile, can lift out of place at a moment's notice and develop a huge gouge in them (this can be filed down). So, I think the Continental would be a NO from me.

I have also used my friends Bernina 7 series, which is also a beast of a machine, very stable, but best of all, very well made, the feet are a work of art.  Yes, they are expensive but are way, way better than anyone else's, bar those belonging to an industrial machine.  I had a 4 series Bernina, which I sold to buy the Janome 6700p, as I wanted a larger throat space, an easier to use thread cutter button & much larger foot pedal that didn't walk across the carpet.  I got what I wanted, but there were things that the Bernina did which were SOOOO much better!

The Bernina I chose was 5.5mm stitch width, and the Janome has a 9mm - I have found this sometimes leads to 'tunnelling' unless I use a decent stabiliser underneath, so I have to say I haven't bothered with them much.
Both had a lot of fancy stitches, which I dont use,  I do a lot of free motion embroidery, which they were both pretty good at.  I preferred the Bernina for straight stitch piecing, despite the Janome having the HP foot and needle plate, which in turn is nowhere near a match for my straight stitch Juki!

I don't know much about Pfaff, apart from I  had a Performance 5 for a while and hated it!

A good thing to do is to do a Facebook search for the machines, and there are lots of owners out there that will share their problems and tips - I learnt loads about my Janome, having had a few problems with it, to find out loads of others did as well!

Regarding the embroidery bit, I think I would purchase a dedicated embroidery only machine, and see how that goes!

I wish you the very best of luck and fun with your decision, whichever you choose!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 14:54:23 PM by KayK »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

sewmuchmore

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2022, 17:04:31 PM »
I think I might get that Pfaff Creative Icon 2 @Celia which has a current price of £500, unless that's the deposit to order and they daren't put the price down.
The Icon 2 is an embroidery/sewing machine with only 275 available world wide in each of the 4 colours. I did get an email from my Pfaff repair man asking if i would be interested, he thinks it will retail at £9999.00  :faints: I was put of because of the voice recognition, what happens i wonder when you have a bit of a paddy and swear at it.
@KayK i already  have an embroidery/sewing machine, Brother V5, which i use only for embroidery.
@Celia i do all kinds of sewing, dressmaking, soft furnishings, upholstery as well as more decorative stuff. I like the wide throat on my Pfaff and it is a pretty robust machine.

What i would really like, but impossible to buy, is a robust machine that can cope with heavy and delicate work but without all the decorative stiches. Do any of us really use them?

Janet

Celia

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 17:38:34 PM »
Sorry @sewmuchmore  I thought you were looking at the sewing only icon you linked to. If so I will tell you it is no longer listed on Pfaff latest price list. :thinking:   

@KayK I think I do agree with you about the Janome, I was happy enough to to buy the 6700 but would not go to the Continental. I also previously had a Bernina and do still have a Husqvarna that is Pfaffs sister machine, both from the same manufacturer.  I have used the Epic a lot and it’s a lovely machine but not worth the money.

Bernina accessories are by far the best quality.  I love my 6700, I mainly use it for fancy stitching.   I do use it for the piecing I do, I am not really a quilter.  I did intend to get rid of my HD9 but won’t it is definitely the toughest of the machines and I do a lot of topstitching of jersey fabrics which no other machine seems to be quite so capable of.  My main dressmaking machine is my Babylock Gloria, I very rarely use anything but stretch fabrics.

If you are looking for a robust machine to cope with both heavy and fine fabrics I would have to choose my Janome HD9. But of course it is only a straight  stitch machine.  It’s feet are very tough and nothing like the other Janome feet it will also take industrial sewing machine feet.

Now you know why I have 4 machines  :laughing: one day I will sell one of them

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2022, 17:43:44 PM »
@Celia ooh an Epic and a Gloria.  Very jealous!   :)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2022, 18:04:43 PM »
Sorry @sewmuchmore  I thought you were looking at the sewing only icon you linked to. If so I will tell you it is no longer listed on Pfaff latest price list. :thinking:   
@Celia it is the sewing only Icon i was looking at, please don't tell me they have discontinued it already  :headbang:

Janet