The Sewing Place

Lets talk new machines

Celia

Re: Lets talk new machines
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2022, 18:17:13 PM »
Yes I am afraid I think it is, I would be reluctant to buy a discontinued machine as parts can become difficult to get quite quickly these days.

Gernella

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2022, 20:09:20 PM »
@Celia ooh an Epic and a Gloria.  Very jealous!   :)

I only had use of the Epic it isn’t mine but the Gloria is. :loveit:

@Gernella they are still in the shops but they are no longer being made, with a machine at that price it would bother me.

KayK

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2022, 22:18:20 PM »
What i would really like, but impossible to buy, is a robust machine that can cope with heavy and delicate work but without all the decorative stiches. Do any of us really use them?

Hear hear! I really wish that too - one that can do a decent, very adjustable zig zag/satin stitch. drop feed dogs. with a wide throat plus a free arm, a large capacity bobbin that doesn't load at the top!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Celia

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2022, 23:21:34 PM »
@KayK me too then maybe I could have just 1 machine.

Gernella

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »

@Gernella they are still in the shops but they are no longer being made, with a machine at that price it would bother me.

That's probably the problem @Celia people who can afford that kind of cash are usually the ones who wouldn't be seen dead with a sewing machine in the house.  They would probably rather have a production line of machines that can be sold quite easily, especially when the price is already going up on those machines. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2022, 11:40:08 AM »
@KayK that was my list of requirements when I got my new machine, especially the bigger throat, except I did want a top loading bobbin as I found the Bernina really fiddly.  It was why I chose the Pfaff.  I could have got the next model up (or even the one above that) but all they offered was more stitches and I knew I wouldn't use them.  Besides the one I got was a prettier colour  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

coffeeandcake

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2022, 17:00:15 PM »
@sewmuchmore this place appears to have all of the machines that you're considering in stock
http://www.superiorsewing.co.uk/

Ouryve

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2022, 17:36:05 PM »
Interesting. There is a 790 plus and a 790 plus E listed there.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

sewmuchmore

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2022, 09:43:48 AM »
Thank you everybody for your comments and help. However after thinking about this i have decided i do not need a new machine, the one i have if fine. I am instead going to donate the money to charity's helping the Ukrainian people and their pets.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2022, 15:06:19 PM »
WOW! That incredibly generous of you @sewmuchmore ...

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2022, 17:35:55 PM »
What a kind thing to do @sewmuchmore
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

So Chic

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2022, 11:44:27 AM »
My OH has suggested that I treat myself to a new machine with the money I've saved during lockdown but I'm very happy with my Bernina so do I upgrade my coverstitch.  I don't use the coverstitch much as it's a bit temperamental, it's about 16/17 years old and I think they have improved a lot since then.  I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2022, 13:13:48 PM »
Ive never really understood what a coverstitch is or does.

I understand what an overlocker does; finishing seams on (usually knit fabrics) and trimming excess fabric off at the same time but a Coverstitch is beyond me.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kwaaked

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2022, 13:37:57 PM »
Ive never really understood what a coverstitch is or does.

I understand what an overlocker does; finishing seams on (usually knit fabrics) and trimming excess fabric off at the same time but a Coverstitch is beyond me.

A CS is sort of an overlocker for hems.  If you sew a lot of knits, this give the hem in RTW garments you see for sale.  Look at a t-shirt and the twin thread stretchy hem is what it is.

I know I do more coverstitch hems at work then all the others combined.

@So Chic I'll say this: I had one that was older, and temperamental to the point I would have rather hand sewn hems then use it.  I got a new one and it was an absolute game changer in making them.  When I get into work today, it will take me right at 20 minutes to do a pant hem with the machine..most of that is marking the hem and trimming the fabric.  I can thread it and sew a hem in about 5 minutes (mine is out all the time).  Before it was taking me about an hour messing with the older one.

There are also attachments to add bias binding with it to items, which is also a good help when making necklines.