The Sewing Place

Hello You fabulous bag makers

Iminei

Hello You fabulous bag makers
« on: March 08, 2022, 14:34:16 PM »
Im wanting to make or design and make a Bag/cover for my lightbox (19"  x 15") and then hopefully for Oz the new lappy! (The Old Lappy has a store bought cover so wont be jealous.)

I dont want to have to buy anything really so was thinking of using wadding:- poly and/or cotton OR I have a yoga mat I could cut up IF it will sew under The Splurgess.

I want a pocket in the front for things like ruler/pencil and of course the power cord (Wish Id incorporated a pocket on Elvistoo's cover  :facepalm: ) and handles so it could be hung up rather than scuffing around on the floor.

At the moment the LB is in its original cardboard box which is now looking very sorry for itself BUT I do have the four expanded puffy plasticky corner edge covers that came with the packaging.

As someone who has never made a proper functioning bag before Im all ears as to any and all hints and tips etc.

Thanking you in advance  peeps xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

Re: Hello You fabulous bag makers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:33:49 AM »
Hellllooooo ??? Anybody out there ??

Celia

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 09:29:18 AM »
I have a similar request as I want to make a bag for my little table loom, you can buy one but it is just like a large shopping bag with no closure.

@Iminei how thick is your light box, mine is wafer thin and I think it is relevant to what sort of protection it needs.  I made cases for both mine and my sons phones and as well as wadding I used plastic canvas to give it the firmness that helps to protect the phone. I know you said you didn’t want to buy anything so maybe you have something around the house that you could use instead.  I used a flap over the top to close which I added a button to.

You have reminded me I need to make another phone cover.  When taking your measurements do be a bit generous you can always make it smaller not bigger, another mistake I made when doing my sons phone.

Let us know what you decide to do.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 11:21:44 AM »
Hi both,

I think that once you understand the methodical stages of construction involved in bag making, you can design any simple bag to fit your purpose. I’ve sent you a PM related to bag making…

Debbie Shore on YouTube has some excellent tutorials that take you through each step very clearly.

https://youtu.be/SS3fkB46Bwo

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 11:50:47 AM »
I don't make bags but, could you use the box it is currently in as a 'pattern' in that you knowit fits in there so utilize it's existence?
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 11:52:59 AM »
The box is wider than the LB as it has a section for the plug and cable .... Its more advice on construction with the wadding and stuff Im after ... or maybe Im just plain scared and way out of my comfort zone!!!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 11:56:56 AM »
@Celia  ... yes its very thin ... the wonders of modern technology!! I remember the old LB's in college (Its a University now   :rolleyes:  ) Great Big Hulking things built in a shed by Uncle Jim

Im seriously wondering about using parts of the yoga mat to give structure and protection ... I mean its not like Im ever use it for Yoga!!! :laughing:

@WildAtlanticWay  ... thanks I shall investigate that maybe tomorrow ... at the moment its all go with Elvistoo !!! (I wish!)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 12:00:14 PM »
@Iminei not a lot of help on the construction I’m afraid.  But I think you need more than wadding for protection.  That would stop scratches but not real damage. I’d be looking at something like foam

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 12:11:00 PM »
I’d be looking at something like foam ../. like a foam yoga mat???

I also have the corner protectors that the corners slip into.

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 12:13:01 PM »
A lot depends on how pretty you want things to be.

Debbie Shaw videos are good as are the ones by Diane Spencer Ogg.

For your LB would a simple tote bag with boxed corners, and a closure tab be sufficient?

A yoga mat would make good padding but may be difficult to sew through but there are ways to incorporate padding without stitching through it.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 12:19:14 PM »
I’d be looking at something like foam ../. like a foam yoga mat???

I also have the corner protectors that the corners slip into.

That sounds good if it’s foam.  Ideal use if you’re not gonna get on the floor in knots! :)