The Sewing Place

Why I'm a toile convert

Kad

Re: Why I'm a toile convert
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 13:37:00 PM »
Hello from another taller than average household, (I'm the shortest at 5'11") . Our men shop at 2tall.com, not the cheapest but good quality and most importantly FIT.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Surest1tch

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 13:43:30 PM »
@Adey1981, argghgh don't cut the duvet covers up, your missus might find a new use for the scissors  :scream:.
Seriously though, you can pick old duvet covers and curtains up for very little money in some of the charity shops. I am tall for a woman (6') and have similar problems getting trousers as long as I like to wear them so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Adey1981

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 13:57:15 PM »
Hello from another taller than average household, (I'm the shortest at 5'11") . Our men shop at 2tall.com, not the cheapest but good quality and most importantly FIT.

Cheers Kad, I'll take a look.  :thumb:

Adey1981

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 14:03:15 PM »
@Adey1981, argghgh don't cut the duvet covers up, your missus might find a new use for the scissors  :scream:.
Seriously though, you can pick old duvet covers and curtains up for very little money in some of the charity shops. I am tall for a woman (6') and have similar problems getting trousers as long as I like to wear them so I know exactly where you're coming from.

It's ok, I dont really have a death wish  :angel:

We have a very large charity shop close to us, where I can probably get all the 'practice' fabric I'll ever need.

Cheers

realale

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 12:09:52 PM »
@Adey1981 I've made my 6' 7" son several pairs of jeans - I'm 5'3" if I stand up really straight!!  so going from extra tall to petite is in my repertoire!!  :laughing:
A toille is a good way to go but make sure the fabric is sturdy if you can. And if you're going to make them from stretch denim then you need toille fabric with stretch. It's a minefield out there I tell you!!  ;)
So many beers, so little time.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2022, 13:23:35 PM »
Toile convert here too.  40 years ago I could sew up a Vogue size 12 (UK) and have it fit.  Now an E cup and a post-menopausal middle mean the basic pattern would still fit but a FBA is vital.  The added fabric also seems to take care of the extra needed below the bustline in tops.

SewCanDad

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 17:27:54 PM »
I just ordered some lightweight muslin as the wife said NO to cutting up any sheets ... jeez ... so lucky I asked before hand  :laughing: