The Sewing Place

Complete novice looking for guidance

SewingNoob

Complete novice looking for guidance
« on: March 09, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »
Hi all,

I'm Sewingnoob but you can call me Sam. I have never sewed anything apart from holes in my socks lol. I'm looking to start my sewing journey by making a box cushion out of denim for my puppy to use as a dog bed.

As my hand sewing isn't really up to scratch, I think it will be easier and will produce a better finish if I use a sewing machine to sew the gussets and seams, but can any one recommend a use friendly sewing machine that isn't going to cost the earth to purchase and can handle denim?

Also any advice on if I need to use any particular thread for this project would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Complete novice looking for guidance
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 12:11:29 PM »
Might be worth a trip to your nearest good sewing machine shop where you can see what’s available? If you tell us the County you’re in, I’m sure you’ll get some shop recommendations.

Just like buying cars, there’s a huge variety of makes, models and extras to choose from. Plus good quality used models too.

Start by working out what you’re likely to be sewing and set a realistic budget.

Dressmaking, Embroidery, Quilting, Soft Furnishing - curtains, cushion covers etc., bag making and related accessories, soft toys etc…. 

There isn’t really a One Size Fits All machine. Also, maybe buy with the intention of trading in and upgrading later on if you really get into it?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 12:17:25 PM »
Welcome @SewingNoob
If you can get to a shop that would be your best bet.  It is difficult for people to advise on machines as it’s a personal thing.  What one person likes and finds easy to use, another will dislike intensely. 
Having said that, as you want it to sew denim (and denim comes in various weights so may not be too heavy) an old metal bodied second hand machine would work well.  You haven’t said what your budget is but I would definitely avoid really cheap under £100 machines. 
As for thread, I use Gutermann Sew All.  It’s polyester,  strong and for general sewing. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 13:14:45 PM »
Hello &I welcome from me  :).
I can't add really anything to the 2 previous replies as both offer good advice. Tell a good dealer what your looking for and they should point appropriate machines out and allow you to play on them to see which one feels right. Avoid at all costs the cheap ones Aldi & Lidl have on offer from time to time.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 13:17:39 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too. If you can find a machine shop to try out different one that's great, avoid anything that tries to race to the back of the table or enjoys tapdancing as you sew. This will give you a headache. Heavy is best for what you plant to sew. Sometimes however a second hand vintage Singer - treadle or converted electric - is hard to beat. I have one from 1930s and it sews anything.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SewingNoob

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 15:18:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone that's commented so far. Its seems like the easiest thing would be to ask what sewing machines I should avoid.

As for my budget I guess £120 is the max I'm willing to spend on something I'm just dabbling in. The sewing machine should be suitable for apholstery.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 15:25:05 PM »
With that budget and upholstery in mind I definitely would be looking at an older metal bodied machine.  Try and phone a shop to see if they have any second hand ones in that you could go and look at. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 15:54:48 PM »
A Singer 201 or 66 would be the best bet for uphosltery in vintage, IMO.

I use a 201 to hem jeans and a 66 for bespoke shirts, but both have worked on small upholstery items.

realale

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 17:00:36 PM »
Hello and welcome. I too would suggest an older mechanical machine to start off. You can pick up some good value ones that are sturdy but will give you a good straight stitch and zig zag. If you then decide you like sewing you can upgrade at a later date.
I have an excellent Singer hand crank over 100 years old that sews the best straight seam ever and it only cost about £25 a few years ago.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 17:39:58 PM »
Hello Sam, welcome to the forum  :)
From what you've said you need something with muscle. That means vintage or 2nd hand high end. You'll then need to factor in costs like tough needles, tough thread etc. And then there's the learning process which undoubtedly cost money.
Can I offer my advice?
Start small. Buy a 2nd hand modern machine which doesn't have muscle but will sew most other things. Do small projects like tote bags, pencil cases, masks etc to hone your skills. If it all works out in 6-12 months and you still have an interest in machine sewing, plump for a Singer Heavy Duty 4423machine. These go for about £250 off the shelf and from what I read are tough as Chuck Norris on steroids.
I've only been sewing for a little over a year and I can promise you, mistakes will be plenty and skills will take time to develop.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 19:29:21 PM »
I agree with the others that vintage is the way to go.  For £120 you should be able to get one with a new motor and they are so simple mechanically that even a complete incompetent (like me) can ensure they run on a daily basis.  I have 99k and a newer 401g Singer models and they would all plough through denim with no difficulty.
I see no point in buying a newer machine that will not do what you want with the denim, it would be a false economy.  A vintage will be your back up for many, many years
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 20:05:20 PM »
For that budget ... steer well clear of 'new' cheapo jobbies, lidl, aldi, hobbycraft to name the obvious offenders and go for secondhand ...
Buying part ex or ex demo from a dealer will be more expensive but it will have been cleaned, serviced and come with a warranty or very careful selection from local to you sources on Fleabay, Gumtree.

Its quite easy to see if a machine has been well looked after, used little or a lot ..

Failing that is there a sewing school nearby where you get a lesson and a try on a half decent machine ... A couple of lessons will be cheaper than buying a machine only to find out you dont enjoy sewing/have bought a pup and give you some starter skills to build on in the process

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 20:12:16 PM »
Another here who would recommend going vintage.  A Singer 201k is the best workhorse you can get, and a beautiful stitch as well.  Always for sale on FB, Ebay etc, or maybe your local Freecycle may have one?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 20:57:57 PM »
I personally would never buy anything but brand new.
Find a shop or phone if you don't have a local one. Tell them what you hope to sew and ask their advice. Good luck  :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 21:48:59 PM »
If you're going to sew denim and upholstery you will find yourself trying to sew through 4, 6 or even 8 layers of fabric, particularly if you're going to add piping to the seams.  To get through that you really need a machine with a metal chassis.  By that I don't mean a metal case but the innards of the machine.  Lightweight models have a nylon chassis and when faced with anything heavier than a net curtain they just flex.  My brother bought my SiL a cheap Brother online and I tried to take up my nephew's trouser hems on it.  It was the devil's own job to get it to sew across the flat fell seam at the side (which might have been as much as 12 layers, come to think of it).

So I would say you need a second-hand machine if you can only spend £120.  A simple swing-needle model capable of zigzag will do most of the sewing that one normally.  I had a Singer 522 for 20-odd years and made jeans, shirts, dresses, jackets, coats and curtains on it.  I now have an electronic Brother (I really wanted the one-step buttonhole feature) and while it has a good range of utility stitches (stretch zigzag is particularly handy for lingerie repairs!) I don't use the embroidery stitches at all.  With hindside, the Singer was the better machine for topstitching - something to do with the distance between the feed dogs, I believe.