The Sewing Place

Complete novice looking for guidance

BrendaP

Re: Complete novice looking for guidance
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 12:13:33 PM »
I personally would never buy anything but brand new.
Find a shop or phone if you don't have a local one. Tell them what you hope to sew and ask their advice. Good luck  :sew:

Don't listen to @Lowena - she won't have anything that's not brand spanking new!

If you ask a dealer for something new in your price range they will only be able to offer cheap, plasticy, lightweight machines that won't handle several thicknesses of denim.

The vintage Singers mentioned are excellent workhorses, especially the 201 - but they are straight stitch only.  Mine made piped box cushions from upholstery fabric which is thicker than most denim without complaining and at times it had to go through six layers of fabric.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

However, if you want to sew garments where you need to neaten the seam allowances something with a swing needle to do zig-zag stitch would be better such as a Singer 306.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

William

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 19:07:39 PM »
Hello-

There is nothing like an older all-metal mashine. I have an old Singer and a Pfaff 94. Both are older than I am and run beautifully. They do both straight and zig-zag and that is all i need! In addition, the buttonholes, once You learn how to do them are just great.
These maschines are also made with the understanding that the owner will be servicing them. This means that they are easier to clean and oil. If You can get one in a table You also have the bonus of a large area to work on as well.
Your biggest ally? Patience. Do not get frustrated (we have all been there - and still are!) and do not give up! Start slowly, proceed with patience and You will be rewarded with a skill You can use your lifelong!

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

jk1066

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »
Borrow a machine . Before spending any money at all ask around friends and family -  it is very likely one of them will have something they don't use sitting in a cupboard that you can try out. That way you can get a bit of experience of sewing before actually buying something.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »
Don't listen to @Lowena - she won't have anything that's not brand spanking new !

Hear Here ! And I had to 'like' your post because of that beautiful pic of your Gorgeous George!

What? The pic was meant to showcase your lovely sewing ??? Ooops!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »
Don't listen to @Lowena - she won't have anything that's not brand spanking new !

Hear Here ! And I had to 'like' your post because of that beautiful pic of your Gorgeous George!

What? The pic was meant to showcase your lovely sewing ??? Ooops!
@Iminei
That's not George  :woof: he's a red fox labrador.  The black and white dog in the photo is DD's Barney, a CockerPoo - cocker spaniel/poodle cross.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2022, 10:22:46 AM »
Sorry Ive only heard you mention George ... A Red Fox Labrador ... That sounds very exotic!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

William

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2022, 12:46:47 PM »
Sooooo @SewingNoob , How is the search going?  :sew: Found anything yet?
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Sara-S

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 12:38:01 PM »
That’s an ambitious first project.  Go to a shop, find a machine and practice on some simpler stuff first.  If the shop offers any classes, do take at least one.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

SewCanDad

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2022, 13:57:23 PM »
I use heavy canvas regular (16-18oz.) with a old Singer 15-91 without any issues. I'm a sucker for the old machines though. I also use a secondary vintage Japanese made machine for zigzag work (same Class 15 bobbin). The reason I personally prefer the model 15 over the 201's is the maintenance is less involved and the Class 15 bobbin holds more thread  :thumb: