The Sewing Place

Brother A50 over the A16?

HappyCampers

Brother A50 over the A16?
« on: March 10, 2022, 10:50:19 AM »
My teenage daughter is looking for her first proper machine (for pretty much everything, inc projects, clothing, alterations, free hand embroidery) I will likely use it for curtains, soft furnishing and possibly quilting

She has tried a few machines and really likes the Brother A16. For a bit more money the A50 is pretty much the same machine but offers a lot of extra decorative stitches - but is it worth the extra?

Anyone got an A15/A16 and feel they needed more? Anyone got an A50 and never use the features?

Bumblebuncher

Re: Brother A50 over the A16?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:19:04 AM »
It seems to be the general opinion that none of us use all the decorative stitches our machines have to offer.  When I was buying my new machine last year (Pfaff 620) I could have got the next one up but realised the only difference was more stitches, so saved myself £100!  If that is the literal only difference, it probably is not worth the upgrade. 
I can't comment on the actual machines though as I have never owned a Brother!
I am sure she will be happy with whatever one you choose though :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »
If she is planning on sewing any stretch fabrics then she will find the over edging stretch stitch, number 13, on the better machine, immensely useful. I actually prefer the equivalent stitch on my janome, over my overlocker, for attaching cuffs, as it is so sturdy.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 11:36:11 AM »
Although sewing machines can be a bit like washing machines in that only a few of the stitches/programs are used on a regular basis, looking at the manual there are some extras on the A50 that I would find useful.
https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/media/attachment/file/i/n/innov_is_a16_instruction_manual-min.pdf

These are the features/stitches that I find useful on my machine (not a Brother) and are available on the A50 but not the A16
  • Changing the default needle position from left to centre
  • The option to start with a lock stitch rather than reverse
  • Right needle position straight stitch
  • Various quilting stitches
  • Shell tuck edge stitch (looks like a mirrored blanket stitch)
  • Serpentine stitch

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
Definitely more than just more stitches lol
Probably worth the extra then!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 11:49:22 AM »
Agree with others that looking at the two machines, the extra stitches on the A50 are actually quite useful.

I have a Brother 1300 and use some of the decorative stitches on things like appliqué or as a decorative top stitch around the edge of something to add a bit of zazz.

I think it’s when you have 100+ stitches, you tend not to use them all as some are very similar. 

@StitchinTime   You can always change needle position on a straight stitch by moving your stitch width from 0 and it moves the needle from left to right. I think most modern machines that do a zigzag stitch offer this option? I set mine to 5.5 width for my quarter inch seam. I know I can swap to the quarter inch foot but I find this the easiest option.

HappyCampers

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 11:54:58 AM »
wow, lots of responses so quickly, thank you

it already looks like stretch fabrics (stitches and button holes) and significantly better quilting capability mean the A50 is potentially a more flexible machine

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 12:46:41 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay Thank you for clarifying about adjusting the needle position. I wasn't sure if this was possible as there were defined stitches for left and right straight stitch.