The Sewing Place

Sleeve length question

b15erk

Sleeve length question
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:00:52 AM »
I did my jacket tJesoile yesterday, and made a few alterations  which I transferred to the pattern.  Unforttunately, the brain cell missed a beat, and I forgot to shorten the sleeves - which are several inches too long.

The sleeves are a simple one piece, and the only thing I can thinks to do, is to lift the pattern off the fabric, move it up and re-cut.  Is this the correct way to do it?

Such a numpty...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

Re: Sleeve length question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:13:07 AM »
I would reduce the length of a sleeve by folding the pattern (if that makes sense) where it is a straight cut.  So lifting and moving it would achieve the same results  :D
Not sure if there is another way coz I am often on the 'I worked out how to do this myself so don't always do it the proper way' spectrum.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »
Yes, make the fold/pleat in the pattern, align the op with the fabric and then mark the fabric where the new lower edge cutting line will be.  If the sleeve tapers a lot you might have to fudge how you adjust the seam line.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 13:02:22 PM »
As someone with T -Rex arms I always have to shorten sleeves. I usually make a fold in the pattern at the lengthen or shorten mark. This should work even if you've already cut it out. You may have to fudge the sleeve edge here and there. NB fudge is the technical term for truing the side edge to maintain the seam allowance  :P :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 13:31:07 PM »
I've got short arms so always have to shorten usually using the lines provided or do my own @b15erk  .
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 13:44:14 PM »
@realale T Rex arms but I hope not T Rex teeth.  :laughing:

I agree - fold the pattern at an appropriate point. I don't think I have short arms but sleeves can sometimes be drafted rather long on patterns - less often too short though that happens too.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 20:55:03 PM »
I knew I could rely on you lot!  :laughing:  It actually wasn't so bad, as the tapering was quite shallow.

Fingers crossed I'll have the sleeves in tomorrow.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.