The Sewing Place

Coverpro 2000 woes

Mocarroll

Coverpro 2000 woes
« on: March 10, 2022, 20:15:38 PM »
I swear I’m going to throw this b****y machine out of the window!  All I want is to whip the machine out to do the hems on a t-shirt, supposedly a one hour make, but do you think she’ll play nicely? Of course not!  :headbang: :headbang: Sews most of the seam perfectly but throws in just a couple of skipped stitches and not even on a seam.  I’ve read all the threads about skipped stitches and solutions and even joined the coverpro group on FB.  Guess I need to spend time playing as I remember it took me a while to love my overlocker when I first got it.  Tomorrow I’m going to try El suk needles which I’ve just discovered.  I thought they only did universal ones.

b15erk

Re: Coverpro 2000 woes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 20:26:34 PM »
It can take a while @Mocarroll !  I spent time during lockdown making friends with my Pfaff Coverstyle.  Needles were a big thing, proper preparation, and learning to start and stop properly.

There's an excellent set of Youtube tutorials from Johanna Lundstrom, and I printed off her guide to Coverstitch Troubleshooting (which was free). 

Hope this helps.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 20:59:18 PM »
My Coverpro 2000 is the same - throws up skipped stitches for no apparent reason. I wish I'd gone a bit more up-market but at the time thought I wouldn't use it enough (which I don't) so didn't want to spend a fortune. I think some of it is down to operator error in my case. I find the foot pedal very "jerky" - it's full throttle or nothing, as compared to my Bernina footpedal which I can control to sew one stitch at a time. If I could smooth out the speed at which I sew I think things might be better. -<
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 21:08:36 PM »
I always had a bit of a love hate relationship with both my Janome coverstitch machines, currently the 2000CPX @Mocarroll , even though I read all the how to web  sites etc., and watched videos.  Sometimes it would stitch perfectly but then miss  stitches in the middle.

Sometime last year I bought some nice coloured modal jersey (on screen), which turned out to be very light/slippy and not a colour I was that fussed about. To make it up I finished up using some Gutermann Terra plus Mara thread.  This time I needed an exact colour.  When I did the neck band I turned it over looking for breaks to find it was perfect all the way round.  Same with the sleeve and hem stitching.  Prior to that I normally used the cheapo threads for overlockers, sometimes using odd Gutermann to match in. Since then I've used all Gutermann on around six or seven projects with success every time.  I've always used the correct needles as well.

I still can't believe that this small change made all the difference.  I'm really living the dream with it at the moment.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 21:14:08 PM »
That's really strange @Gernella - my 2000CPX hates Gutermann thread even though I normally use it for all my other sewing. I've found putting a woolly nylon, or something similar, in the looper helps a lot.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 21:27:09 PM »
I've been using 120 thread @Kenora although I think Terra might be 160.   I suspect that the looper thread is the problem, I always had trouble clearing the fabric from the machine, never since. I've not even had to mess around with numbers or the tension on top.  I'm sticking with all Gutermann while I'm on a roll. :)
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 21:49:19 PM »
I used the term "woolly nylon" rather loosely - I've been using Polyarn from Superior Threads. It's lovely and soft, and very slightly fluffy. I believe its a 120 thread but I'm not certain. All I know is the coverstitch likes it - so that's good enough for me! :)

The other revelation I had was using Madeira Polyneon thread in the needles - it works so well, and so far has stood up to any amount of washing and ironing as it's polyester. As long as I can keep the skipped stitches at bay - like you @Gernella - I'm happy.  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 22:04:33 PM »
My Elna 444 - which is really a CoverPro 1000 with a fancy badge, and CoverPro 1000 is the same as CoverPro 2000 without the tension adjustment next to the looper tension dial - is a bit fussy about threads and prefers the better quality ones.

Sometimes it doesn't want to allow me to pull the threads through to lock off.  Only a couple of days ago I realised that the three thread guides underneath for the looper thread have to be exactly in line for the thread to pull through easily.  I now have black dots on the balance wheel to indicate where that is.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 09:55:54 AM »

The other revelation I had was using Madeira Polyneon thread in the needles - it works so well, and so far has stood up to any amount of washing and ironing as it's polyester.

That's something I have noticed @Kenora , garments fade (I've stopped using Arial original unless by special request :rolleyes:) overlock/coverstitch thread as bright as the day stitched.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 15:41:58 PM »
All I can add to this is that I was told that I must use the correct needles as detailed in the manual or I would have problems.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Mocarroll

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 16:13:44 PM »
Another day another try...El stretch needles arrived but before I put them in I had a fiddle with the rear feed dogs and raised them jus a tad, even though they seemed pretty level.  Still no luck but now the r/h needle thread kept snapping. Mindful of what you said @Kenora and @Gernella I swapped the thread for one off the overlocker and bingo :thumb: :thumb: beautiful hems.  I'm certainly going to take your advice and invest in some quality threads as well as spending some time just playing as you said @b15erk .  Anyway, here are my hems

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 16:19:33 PM »
It's great when it all works as it's supposed to, isn't it @Mocarroll:) Glad you found something that helped.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 16:50:47 PM »
Whether it's an allusion or not your stitch looks huge @Mocarroll mine barely moves when I increase the stitch length. What a relief for you especially on a new machine.  I've certainly used mine more now I know it's not going to be hit and miss every time.

You can't get much cheaper than these, and they sit nicely on the thread stalks.  I got a few more recently to makeup my colour variation.

https://www.samueltaylors.co.uk/all-products-search/gutermann-toldi-lock-120-gauge