The Sewing Place

Pfaff Problem

Alikat

Pfaff Problem
« on: March 11, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »
Ive just acquired my mum's Pfaff Creative 1473D which has not been used for a while.  It all works well, but when winding a bobbin it seems impossible to stop the needle going up and down.  I have released the flywheel (is that what it is called?)
but is still doesn't disengage.  Any advise would be appreciated before I succumb to having it serviced?

realale

Re: Pfaff Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 12:09:47 PM »
I had that machine and I love love loved it.  :loveit: I too had the bobbin winding problem when the needle went up and down despite releasing the fly wheel etc. Sadly I can't tell you a cure as the machine 'died' not long after - my service man told me the mother board had gone.
Hope you find a cure as it was one of the best machines I ever sewed with.
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »
@Alikat , I have the Pfaff 1475cd, I've had it from new, and I love it.  I've not had the same proble as you with the Pfaff, but have had  it happen with several of my old Singers.  I can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I believe it involved removing the hand wheel, not sure if you would be able to do that on the Pfaff...

If you take it for a service, you could ask them to have a look at the winding mechanism?  Thinking on my feet, I wonder if there are any YouTube tutorials online...  I'll have a look, and if I find one, I'll be back.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 15:36:44 PM »
I had a 1473 and never really liked it.  I seem to remember that I had problems with winding bobbins but I’m sorry I can’t remember if I solved the problem before getting rid of the machine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 17:01:32 PM »
I had bobbin winding problems with my old Janome MC7000 @Alikat  to get around it bought a Sidewinder.

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/simplicity-sidewinder-bobbin-winder

I've used 6 other machines since then and never yet wound a bobbin with the machine.  I've even got a second one for when I work downstairs
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 17:10:43 PM »
Oooh Me Miss, Please Miss, Me Miss ... bounces up and down in her chair flailing her hand around

I sometimes have this problem with The Splurgess in the past but think Ive found out why.

Ive noticed that there is a lil trigger / lever type thing built into the bobbin winders shank which is meant to click into slot on the inside of the bobbin.

If I make sure this has clicked in ... you can actually hear it ... I dont have the problem.

I think the older/more use a machine has had eases (? Dont know the right word) ) the mechanism... I dont know if this actually is the cure for the problem but Ive found it works for me.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Alikat

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 18:10:25 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  I've just gone over to the machine and tried it again and hey presto it is working properly!  It must have been lack of use!

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 05:05:04 AM »
I had that machine (LOVED it!) and had that issue at some point. The grease in the flywheel had thickened up/dried out. My hubs got it off, cleaned it out and put fresh greased on it. I think we had to find a youtube that told us how to get it off. Or maybe my husband was just more mechanical than me.