The Sewing Place

'Ignore' options

Kad

'Ignore' options
« on: March 12, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »
I've been exploring the options available in my Profile page. As an experiment, I set it up to 'ignore' the vintage machine board and also a chatty member just to see what happens.

When I'm logged in and looking at the 'Unread messages '  anything the 'ignored' member posts is replaced by " You are ignoring this user. Show me the post" which gives me the opportunity to read the post if I wish. This is as expected. However when I make use of ' most recent posts' anything that the 'ignored' member has posted recently is shown, ie not 'ignored' at all. Am I mistaken in not expecting this to happen?
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Greybird

Re: 'Ignore' options
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 13:53:16 PM »
I don't know the answer to this and don't particularly want to. There are quite a few of us who could be described as "chatty" - which is what keeps the forum going. No-one would want to think they were being deliberately ignored - electronically or not. Anyone is at liberty to read posts or not as they choose.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 14:45:07 PM »
Yes @Kad  I tried the "ignore" function and found exactly the same as you. It ignore the posts within a thread but all the posts show up in "most recent" .
I don't know what, if anything can be done to alter this
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 14:52:33 PM »
It's not that I intend to use the 'ignore' function, it's just that I wondered how it worked and was intrigued when it didn't work as I expected. Guess it's the scientist in me - like to know how and why  0_0.
I might use the 'ignore boards' option for things like vintage machines, dance costumes etc - areas of sewing that I have no interest in.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 08:29:26 AM »
But why do you have to have a robot to do this?

If Im not interested in a particular area in this or any other forum .. I simply dont click on it .. simples!

The computer in our head is far more skilled and nuanced than any bot can be ... hence my shaming on faceache for a glib humorous (well I thought so at the time) remark!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 08:39:59 AM »
Kad I have frequently found that stuff that doesn't interest me often comes in handy.

I do not quilt.  I have zero interest in it.  But I have found several recommendations for tools that I DO use. 

Knowledge of these people is pretty impressive, and they don't all post on the same boards, or sometimes even my interests.