The Sewing Place

What lies beneath - Undies and sleepwear contest (photos by 4th May)

SewRuthieSews

Re: What lies beneath - Undies and sleepwear contest (photos by 4th May)
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2022, 21:42:29 PM »
Yes @Helen M you have until 4th May to take and post photos.

Ouryve

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2022, 22:40:52 PM »
Haven't you been ill, @Helen M ? Good going!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2022, 23:20:13 PM »
I've had a bug for 10 days but I really wanted to get this done @Ouryve. If I'd not cut it out it wouldn't have happened!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

toileandtrouble

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
I haven't even started but I am going to tackle a slip that has been on the list for years. It needs a FBAand cutting on the bias. Eventually it will go in the Diary.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Cazlyn

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2022, 08:02:48 AM »
@Ouryve loving your knickers (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say!
Crafting is my happy place

Ouryve

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2022, 08:39:28 AM »
@Cazlyn it's a piece I bought from fabworks. I bought 3 different jerseys, all pretty cheaply and what they turned out to be after a wash was a complete surprise. This one turned out to be quite usable and, yes, it is very cheerful! I wear a lot of muted colours, these days, so stutching something cute is quite refreshing. (and so much easier on the eyes!)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Cazlyn

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »
Edit, it won’t let me - “not” entering them!

Cazlyn

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2022, 08:58:58 AM »
Thanks for the info @Ouryve  xx

Celia

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2022, 14:00:09 PM »
@SewRuthieSews i have nearly finished my nightshirt it’s not that great but I will enter it if I can have until the 4th, I might manage before but not sure.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2022, 16:54:05 PM »
@Celia, please use the extra time until the 4th to finish off your nightshirt and take photos :-)
Looking forward to seeing what you've made.

Celia

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2022, 17:31:32 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  thank you I did do a bit more today and now it only needs hemming, it is only really a long tee shirt but the fabric is fun and about 20 years old so time it got made up. :laughing:

Helen M

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2022, 17:42:07 PM »
Helen M's entry

A midi length nightdress made from vintage Kwik Sew pattern 1386 that I have had since the early 90s. I used a fairly heavy silvery mauve tricot knit which was one of the suggestions that has been in my stash for a few years. It hangs nicely and feels nice. The scalloped lace is ivory, again from my stash. I made it midi rather than full length.

I made this pattern last about 15 years ago but used a straight edge lace that time. The scalloped lace was a bit tricky as the tricot was a bit slippery to say the least! The arm and neck bands used the ‘stitch in the ditch’ technique. For the hem I used a ‘shell tuck’ stitch.

The instructions were well written with plenty of diagrams and it would seem the pattern dates from 1984 so well and truly vintage. Kwik Sew are no longer available sadly, so it’s a pattern I’ll treat with respect for the future.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Helen M's entry

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 19:32:40 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Kenora

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2022, 17:57:30 PM »
Kenora's entry

This is a wearable toile of a nightdress for me. I bought 3 metres of a polyester/satin from Pound Fabrics at £2.50/m and wanted to see how the fabric would behave before I committed to buying something more expensive. In the event, the fabric behaved very nicely although it was fairly slippery to cut, so I used my large 60mm rotary cutter which helped a lot.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The pattern is Butterick 5792 but I only used it for cutting out the fabric. I made the full length View C but without the bottom frill, the lace or the ties. I didn't bother with the instructions as I woudn't have followed them anyway. I'm not a fan of bias binding on garments so I altered the pattern to make the bodice fully lined with self fabric. I cut a size 14 based on the envelope informaton for finished measurements but ended up trimming down to a size 12 after I'd tried it on. The fabric has a tiny amount of lycra in it but it sewed beautifully. I used a 70/11 microtex needle, pale grey Gutermann thread, and a walking foot. I altered my stitch length to a 2.00mm, turned the foot pressure down to 3.5 and didn't backstitch when starting and ending seams, but tied off by hand instead.

I stay-stitched the neck and armholes to prevent stretching while I sewed the pleats on the centre front bodice, then understitched all three areas after joining the lining to the main bodice. A bit over the top, but it made it much easier to turn before top-stitching very close to the edge. I used french seams for the sides, and then joined the lining to those seams by stitching in the ditch.

I've never used this pattern before but I'm fairly happy with it. I would make it again but would alter the back neckline to be as low as the front, which is more what I'm used to. I like the look of the pleats in the front but I'm not sure how comfortable they'll be - I'll know more once I've worn it. It's all about comfort. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Flobear

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2022, 19:34:52 PM »
I'm having a nightmare with nightwear  :boohoo:   My Pfaff won't buttonhole on the jersey fabric nor does it sew the hems neatly but the Bernina, which is very accepting of anything I ask of it, doesn't have a walking foot. Thank goodness the overlocker was overlocking properly yesterday and a few days ago.
Tonight is carefully unpicking the shambolic buttonholey things then maybe I can model (hahahaha) a finished item tomorrow  :rolleyes:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

So Chic

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2022, 09:22:53 AM »
I was going to enter the pyjama trousers I've made for my OH but decided against as I found the check, which is very large, difficult to match so they look a bit odd.  He's pleased with them and has asked for another couple of pairs.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up