The Sewing Place

Window wall hanging

SewRuthieSews

Window wall hanging
« on: March 14, 2022, 14:28:34 PM »
I'd like to make this picture into a small wallhanging, any suggestions on how to approach it?

Iminei

Re: Window wall hanging
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 15:41:37 PM »
Looks pretty simple to me (says she  :rolleyes: )

Some gentle curved piecing ... oversize the cut pieces so you can trim down

The main problem I can see is the domed top ... How would you hang that?
If you hang across the widest point of the top (before the curves part starts)  the domed top would flop down

Im sure its been done before tho so a lil googling could help.

Did you see the Feathers stained glass 'quilt' om faceache that is now going to be used as a window covering as she like the light coming through it so much ?? Uk quilters united I think.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 16:19:01 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 16:25:02 PM »
I saw something similar in a magazine that was done with fusible appliqué and black fusible bias tape.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The shapes are fused to a background and the joins covered with fusible tape. The tape is then stitched in place along both sides using straight stitch.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

(I’ve not posted the full details so as not to infringe copyright.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 16:55:09 PM by StitchinTime »

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 16:30:22 PM »
I did a class at festival 2017...

It was quite fiddly but I made it into a cushion cover for @Sakar
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 16:45:34 PM »
Looks pretty simple to me (says she  :rolleyes: )

Some gentle curved piecing ... oversize the cut pieces so you can trim down

If you hang across the widest point of the top (before the curves part starts)  the domed top would flop down

Im sure its been done before tho so a lil googling could help.

Firm vilene half-circle? Or half-circle band under the binding?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 19:07:34 PM »

The backing needs to be very firm; pelmet weight buckram at the very least.  You night also need to add a thin vertical baton or two at the back.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 19:09:28 PM »
Or you could just attach it to a rectangle of fabric as per the illustration.....
So many beers, so little time.

realale

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 19:22:33 PM »
I forgot to mention I have couple of books on stained glass patchwork by Gail Lawther and I've used this technique for a few wall hangings. Basically you trace and cut a pattern of all the pieces, cut them out in fabric and fuse them to a backing then cover the joins with 1/4" black bias tape. The self adhesive type is best.
I enjoyed making my hangings and one comes out every Christmas - I made a Bethlehem night scene in blues which is my favourite. I made my own bias tape for that though as I wanted it a bit wider. I'll see if I can find it out to take a picture.

realale

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 19:25:09 PM »
Here's an hastily taken picture to give you an idea.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 19:35:30 PM »
@realale that is fantastic, just what I want to do thank you

realale

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 22:21:18 PM »
@SewRuthieSews I have downloaded the Christmas book on to my kindle (well, I read it on my computer as the screen is bigger!!) and had a look through it. It tells you the techniques to use and gives loads of projects if you want to try any. Plus the patterns to trace at the end. I like this book. Hope you find it useful.