The Sewing Place

Newbie member saying Hi

SewCanDad

Re: Newbie member saying Hi
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 18:16:11 PM »
@ NorthStar - old and mechanical sounds right up my street ;)
Likewise, practical clothing is what I'm after and hoping I can learn more about making my own.
As for machines, space is an issue lol so, I think I have around 8 but only have two set-up for daily use. I do have an understanding wife though, probably because she get's a lot out of it also.

@ Flobear - much thanks for the welcome and I thought the name was fitting at the time ;)

NorthStar

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 09:34:19 AM »
@ NorthStar - old and mechanical sounds right up my street ;)
Likewise, practical clothing is what I'm after and hoping I can learn more about making my own.

:thumb:
A good starting point for you would be sewing a sweat shirt.
The fabric is robust & easy to work with. Lay out one of your sweat shirts that fit you good & then take paper & a pen & trace around the front, back & the arms (the R & L arms are usually the same). Just remember to leave a seam allowance of 5/8" (1.5 cm) around the edges of each piece. I would recommend a round neck collar because its easier. maybe your wife can assist you with the collar & cuffs.

Once you accomplish this you can also use it for T-shirts but jersey is a bit tricky.

Cheers!
 :D

As for machines, space is an issue lol so, I think I have around 8 but only have two set-up for daily use. I do have an understanding wife though, probably because she get's a lot out of it also.

@ Flobear - much thanks for the welcome and I thought the name was fitting at the time ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:38:02 AM by NorthStar »

SewCanDad

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 16:17:19 PM »
@ NorthStar, more thinking of shirts and waistcoat at the moment ;)

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 16:45:32 PM »
@SewCanDad   You need to take out the space between @ and the username otherwise it doesn't flag up the mention to the person concerned and they miss your comment.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewCanDad

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 16:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up @Flobear

NorthStar

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 17:53:34 PM »
My first garment was an office shirt with collar stays from Simplicity (No. 7104 BB). Maybe you can order in somewhere?

I had a few difficulties with the collar at first but a couple of email exchanges to their designer in Manhattan cleared it up.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 10:03:17 AM »
Hello and welcome from a fellow Canuck (though I don't live there anymore).  :toast:

SewCanDad

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2022, 14:08:21 PM »
@ScubaGirl   :thumb: Thanks for the welcome from a Scotsman now living in Ont,Ca.  :thumb: The wife and me kidda are Canadian (although my lil lassie says she is 50% Scottish lol poor mum). Again, thankies for the welcome  :bye: