The Sewing Place

Craftsy sale

wrenkins

Craftsy sale
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/shop/the-quilting-shop?filters=%7B%22selectedFilters%22:[]%2C%22selectedSearchScopes%22:[]%2C%22sortBy%22:%22mostRecent%22%2C%22page%22:1%2C%22contentType%22:%22filter-gallery/content/keyed%22%7D&showEnrolledClasses=false&cr_maid=105900&cr_linkid=20170616_quilt_saleday1_header&cr_campaign=ECM_SALE&cr_source=Craftsy%20Ecomm&cr_medium=Internal%20Email&cuid=16816621&st_id=9849184

Don't look!!!!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

classical retro

Re: Craftsy sale
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 14:54:08 PM »
Yet another Craftsy sale, this time for 4 July. All classes $20 £19.19.  I'm getting my birthday and Christmas present now!
CR :angel:

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 18:04:38 PM »
Didn't mean to... now have Dyane Marte's Knits that Fit class - mainly because it mentions including darts in knits and she follows a draping technique which is different the flat patternmaking techniques for which I already have other reference sources. Hoping this will widen my understanding. (A rehearsal in case my OH asks, you understand).  :|
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 20:32:20 PM »
I know nothing!  >:)
They had a flash sale yesterday so I packed up my basket...and forgot. There'll be another soon no doubt.
I found the quality and cutting of their fabrics excellent in case you're wondering  :devil: and I bought other bits and pieces which, even with P&P were still cheaper than here.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 22:46:31 PM »
I know nothing!  >:)
They had a flash sale yesterday so I packed up my basket...and forgot. There'll be another soon no doubt.
I found the quality and cutting of their fabrics excellent in case you're wondering  :devil: and I bought other bits and pieces which, even with P&P were still cheaper than here.
I had never thought about buying fabric etc from Craftsy.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 19:56:06 PM »
Oh dear, very disappointed with Dyanne Marte's class, I'm afraid, so much more basic than I'd expected and so minimal as though she lost all her equipment and had no time to go out shopping - not a French curve in sight , nor even a tape measure - she does everything with a straight ruler including reshaping an armhole!  That said, she uses a tablet to demonstrate rather crudely how to recut an alteration but you don't see her do anything other than simple pinning and drawing lines with her ruler on any sets of samples and definitely no sewing. It almost feels like someone who doesn't have a strong background in fitting although I know that's not the case. Such a shame as she has a pleasant manner and voice (I'm ashamed to say I'm often put off by the latter - apologies, Sara Alm).

I've bought Judy Jackson's Patternmaking for Knits class now hoping for better although I really don't like the examples that I could see - but it's the principles I'm after and she uses a draping method that will be new to me and therefore of interest.  I'll be asking for a refund on the other.

Edit: Sorry, I've maligned Dyanne - a tape measure did appear but it was fleeting and I forgot!  :|
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 22:36:29 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

classical retro

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 21:16:26 PM »
What a shame you didn't enjoy the class. Maybe you should mention to Craftsy that it didn't live up to your expectations and why. I'm sure they will be as disappointed as you that you did not enjoy it.
Thanks for letting us know about the class too.

CR :angel:

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 07:06:02 AM »
Definitely get in touch with the guys and gals at Craftsy....
they are a very helpful bunch and have a no quibble money back guarantee!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 10:25:46 AM »
Yes I got my money back without quibble and gave them what I hoped was objective feedback. I pointed out that by just using before & after samples with so little of the 'doing', it really wasted one of the biggest advantages of video tuition. I think we also expect a bit more from Craftsy than the absolute basics of fitting.

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 14:24:53 PM »
I went and got the Ultimate FMQ with Patsy Thompson and boy is there a lot in it! Only managed 2 videos so far but she is fabulous, loads of examples, loads of technical stuff, stitch throughs and seems a lovely lady as well! Glad I got it. :D

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »
I'm only part way through Judy Jackson't Patternmaking for Knits and am already pleased with what I'm seeing. Ironically although this is a patternmaking course, she's shown more detail on how to fit knits across a bustline than the refunded course on fitting knits did (including the use of darts for the bigger cup sizes). It's a drafting course so there's a lot of draping then fitting on a bodyform hence the crossover with fitting.

I like Judy's approach - this class is actually far better than I envisaged when I first looked at it and chose the one on fitting instead. You do need a bodyform altered to your specific shape (not just an adjustable one) for her draping technique (which I don't have) but there's much more content than that. The instruction on drafting a sleeve head for knits has been enlightening too. She waxes lyrical about the use of a hip & French curve too and does a good job at demonstrating its use around the curves of the body.

In the end, I'm really glad I chose the fitting course as I probably would never have bothered with Judy's class otherwise.   :D :D :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
I'm only part way through Judy Jackson't Patternmaking for Knits and am already pleased with what I'm seeing. Ironically although this is a patternmaking course, she's shown more detail on how to fit knits across a bustline than the refunded course on fitting knits did (including the use of darts for the bigger cup sizes). It's a drafting course so there's a lot of draping then fitting on a bodyform hence the crossover with fitting.

I like Judy's approach - this class is actually far better than I envisaged when I first looked at it and chose the one on fitting instead. You do need a bodyform altered to your specific shape (not just an adjustable one) for her draping technique (which I don't have) but there's much more content than that. The instruction on drafting a sleeve head for knits has been enlightening too. She waxes lyrical about the use of a hip & French curve too and does a good job at demonstrating its use around the curves of the body.

In the end, I'm really glad I chose the fitting course as I probably would never have bothered with Judy's class otherwise.   :D :D :D

There's an excellent Craftsy course on padding out your own body form.
Procrastination get behind me

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 21:18:22 PM »
Yes. That one will be on the list for the next big discount offer.  :)