The Sewing Place

Walking foot and spot reinforcement / Reinforcing stiches in quilting?

HappyCampers

Cant seem to find an answer in the manuals I have looked at . . .

Looking at a walking foot for quilting, I know you cant do reverse reinforcement stitches but I wonder if you can do spot reinforcement stitches?

My guess is not (because presumably each stitch makes the walking foot "walk"), so how do you start and finish quilting stitch runs?

StitchinTime

I have a Husqvarna machine and walking foot and it does a spot reinforcement stitch if I need it, however, with quilting these are not always required.

If your quilting stitch starts or ends at the edge of the quilt, the quilting stitch will be "locked" when you stitch around the edge prior to trimming for binding (or if you apply the binding without trimming!). If the quilting stitch starts or ends in the middle of the quilt, you will get a neater finish by bringing the bobbin thread to the top, knotting the top and bobbin threads together and burying the knot and ends.

Edit: A couple of links that might make how to start/stop quilting clearer.
https://freemotionproject.com/2014/01/how-to-start-and-stop-quilting.html
https://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/starting-or-stopping-a-line-of-machine-quilting-stitches.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:58:08 AM by StitchinTime »

Kad

@HappyCampers

I start and finish each run of quilting stitches by pulling the bobbin thread to the top and leaving ends of approx 2". Then when I've finished quilting I sit with a  :drink: and tie& lassoo these ends into the depths of the quilt. Must say this process does encourage you to use looong quilting lines  0_0
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

If you start or end the quilting in the body of the quilt .. as you should when you start in the middle you leave thread tails which you tie off and then bury

Tutorial

you can either use the Lasso method as shown in the tut, which is ideally for threads too short to be threaded through a needle or leave them longer and using a big eye needle and bury them that way.

Some people start and finish quilting using a few very short stitches to secure, but then you must remember to alter your stitch length before quilting proper ...
or when quilting off the edges of the body of the quilt you can back stitch ...

Im sure Ive backstitched using my WF??!   :thinking:

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

Hahaha - cross-posted with the likeminded @Iminei !   :laughing:

For anyone who isn't familiar with lassoing the ends, @Iminei has a lovely tutorial here.  It speeds things up a lot and is really, really satisfying to do!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

Looking at a walking foot for quilting, I know you cant do reverse reinforcement stitches but I wonder if you can do spot reinforcement stitches?

A walking foot works by the lever which hooks over the needle clamp mimicing the frequency of the feed dog action with the upper/foot dogs.  You can still adjust the stitch length, so I don't see any reason why you can't drop the stitch length to zero for a few stitches.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

For anyone who isn't familiar with lassoing the ends, @Iminei has a lovely tutorial here.  It speeds things up a lot and is really, really satisfying to do!!

Yes it works really well but I prefer keeping my thread tails a bit longer and using the big eye needles ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

I use the lassoing techniques to pull in snags on clothing. It saves them catching, breaking and going into holes and improves the look of the garment a lot.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lilian

I have always been able to backstitch with my walking foot.
Willing but not always able :)

HappyCampers

thanks for sharing everyone, this has been super useful