The Sewing Place

Choosing a Pattern

Lowena

Choosing a Pattern
« on: March 16, 2022, 09:53:47 AM »
I'm coming to the end of a quilting project and beginning to think of my next quilt.
How do you choose which pattern to follow?
I've looked through my books, looked online and Pinterest and nothing grabs me!
I have the money to buy appropriate fabrics, the wherewithal to adapt a pattern if necessary ...but.....nothing enthused me  :(
How do you decide??
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

Re: Choosing a Pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:58:01 AM »
I do pretty much the same as you!  Books, websites, lots of browsing. 

With my current project - the bird quilt - I knew I needed central squares to the blocks to show off the birds, which helped to some extent.  The pattern I settled on was one that I saw while browsing an online quilting store with lots of patterns. 

I didn't buy the pattern because the central squares had to be the size of my bird squares and the details didn't say how big they were in the pattern, but it is quite simple anyway.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 10:11:34 AM »
I have the opposite problem - I spot too many quilts that I want to make. Are you looking hard enough?  :P

Is there a particular shape or technique that you would like to use? I spotted a quilt this morning that uses isosceles triangles and quarter square triangles that has gone on my to list as I've yet to use those shapes in quilts. It will join a new Elizabeth Hartman pattern that I bought as, not surprisingly, I've never made patchwork astronaut cats.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »
@Lowena i am pretty rubbish at deciding things but sometimes I will start with an idea of the sort of colours I fancy working with at the moment, then browse through the internet or my books, I can also access crafting  magazines through my library App.

I am not really a quilter so my search maybe a little different, it’s usually for knitting or some sort of sewing.  My problem is I am too mean to quilt, I want to use up what I have and it’s never enough or right.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 16:41:55 PM »
Little bit of all sorts here - sometimes struck by a design idea - like a sampler quilt in just one colour and a pale background, or by thinking I'd like to design a quilt to express a particular design theme - have been considering sea theme for a little while because I'd like to use a green/turquoise/blue palette.
Yesterday I saw a book on Amish quilts - and have seen some at the American Museum in Bath - and suddenly thought - oh I could do that! A finite number of plains, mostly dark, one or two striking colours/prints, keeping it very subdued yet it would be traditional.

So just being open to what might make you excited or creative. There are no rules. . . :)

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 17:08:21 PM »
I will not live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make.  I have 815 saved on Pinterest.   :laughing:

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 18:35:40 PM »
@Pearl  :laughing:D
I desperately need help as I can't think of anything to inspire me.....
I thought of Ohio Star ???????

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 19:15:33 PM »

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 20:47:50 PM »
Thank you,I will look now

Lowena