The Sewing Place

Zip pull isn't putting the zip teeth together

SewRuthieSews

Zip pull isn't putting the zip teeth together
« on: March 16, 2022, 17:56:19 PM »
On my Craghoppers walking trousers there is a zipped side pocket, the zipper pull is still on it, but doesn't make the teeth go together anymore.

Any tips on how to get the teeth to mesh again?
If not any tips on how I could replace the zip in such an awkward place?

Sandra

Re: Zip pull isn't putting the zip teeth together
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 18:22:21 PM »
I've never been aware of a way to fix a zip where this happens.

Ewww...not a very nice job to replace a zip in a pocket. It usually involves a lot of unpicking. Without having it in front of me it's difficult to say how to do it for the easiest.

Unpick what you have to to release the broken zip...hopefully then you should see the order in which you will put the new one in.

Any chance a bit of velcro would be a suitable replacement and much easier to attach?

Sandra.
xxx

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 18:44:47 PM »
@Sandra, yup, velcro would be fine

SewCanDad

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 19:22:47 PM »
I would try squeezing the zipper pull with a small pair of pliers, sounds like it's opened up a bit from use ;)
Failing that, a replacement part can be fitted (or even replace the zipper itself). I don't like Velcro on pockets personally.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 19:24:20 PM by SewCanDad »

Diane

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 19:28:49 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  I've had this before, you need a magnifying glass so that you get a good close up of the teeth, then with a pair of thin nosed pliers i carefully joined the teeth up by placing one side of the zip on top of the other and pressing down until it locks in place.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 23:04:01 PM »
I've repaired zips that have gone like that. I did it by carefully unpicking one end of the zip, pulling the zip head off, lining the teeth up then rethreading the zip head. Bartack the opened end of the zip and stitching the unpicked end back in place.
It's a fiddly way to do it admittedly but the end result is virtually invisible if you can find a good thread colour match.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 00:13:17 AM »
I've managed to put bust zips back together but they inevitably fall apart again as there is always a weak spot.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"