The Sewing Place

Sashiko cushion

Lowena

Sashiko cushion
« on: June 18, 2017, 13:51:09 PM »
I have finished my Sashiko cushion and wanted to share as it is my first attempt.
I used thin linen in indigo and a traditional flower pattern.I had cotton backing and perle thread.
I actually used several pastel colours but they don't show up on the photo. The colour changes are very subtle.
For a first attempt I am pleased with the result  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 14:24:38 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

Re: Feeling very cross!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 14:09:21 PM »
 Low's pic
Love it Lowena
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 14:14:12 PM »
Oh, thank you so much Vege  <3 I'd come back to transfer it myself ( now I've calmed down  :| ) and am very grateful to you  <3

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 14:23:48 PM »
That's lovely Lowena.
Did you use a template or a transfer or your eye or what? It looks very accurate (not that I know what I'm looking for particularly) but it looks very good to me.
Well done you.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

Re: Sashiko cushion
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 15:46:33 PM »
(I've already written this but it seems to have disappeared - it will probably appear twice now)
That is lovely Lowena, it's the first actual sashiko thing I've seen, I've only seen samples of stitches before.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 16:31:34 PM »
Thank you Ploshy, I'm going to do a tote bag next I think. Then I hope to do a small quilt using KANTHA quilting

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 17:26:00 PM »
Lovely job

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 19:11:02 PM »
Thats lovely Lowena, so simple but so effective.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 22:21:19 PM »
Kantha is Indian/Bangladeshi.  Sachiko is Japanese as is it's cousin Kogin.

They are all based on hand running stitch and traditionally used to hold two (or more) layers of fabric together for warmth and for giving a new lease of life to old fabrics, but they have all, fairly recently, evolved into art forms of embroidery.

Kantha is parallel rows of running stitch, either in straight lines like this, or in swirling lines  to echo a printed design on the fabric like this.

Sachiko from Japan has evolved into grid based designs using just running stitch.  Lowena's lovely cushion is a very typical Sachiko pattern, here are some others.  White on indigo is classic.

Kogin originated in Northern Japan and has developed into a form of counted thread embroidery, typical patterns look like these.  A couple of weeks ago we did a Kogin workshp day at Craft club and I made my little bit into a needle book.  Technically there's a bit of Sachiko there too, on the right hand side.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 22:30:45 PM »
Thanks for that Brenda. Great links and beautiful work.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 23:31:48 PM »
That's lovely Lowena, I can't hand sew very neatly at all now.  Great job!  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
Thanks girls and thanks for the great links Brenda  <3
My drawing of an elephant will need much modification before I ca start sewing. I haven't been to Japan but have been to Bangladesh and India ( several times ) and loved the Kantha work there  :)

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
Lovely cushion Lowie, just lovely. I admire people who have the patience and eyesight (!) to do needlework. I watched a documentary on Sashiko a while back. Very interesting.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 13:26:22 PM »
Thank you Ruby  <3