The Sewing Place

What are you working on?

Vegegrow

Re: What are you working on?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 13:56:15 PM »
I've cut the bottoms off my curtains and left them like that.
I have blocks ready to go for a double bed...x2  :S
I have two faces of herself's runner ready to sandwich.
I have a Winter skirt in kit form that I was hoping to finish before it got warm.
I have plans, plans, plans.....many plans.... :(
Bit late to say  :[
Much much easier to shorten curtains from the top...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 14:08:56 PM »
Bit late to say  :[ Much much easier to shorten curtains from the top...

Genius!!!! Why did I never think of that????  :( I really am a complete novice. Thanks Vege. I'll remember that for next time.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

maliw

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 14:16:02 PM »
Linings for DGD's curtains done, linings went in very easily, curtains now back at the window so she can have her afternoon nap. Oh yes, I've been asked to shorten some long curtains, why does one job become another?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

maliw

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
Made a circular skirt for DD, hand sewed the hem (hate machined hems) it took longer than the actual making. That's something else off the list, right what's next?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »
Bit late to say  :[
Much much easier to shorten curtains from the top...
Eh??  But wouldn't that involve taking off heading tape and then re-attaching?  Surely more work?

Vegegrow

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 13:48:14 PM »
Eh??  But wouldn't that involve taking off heading tape and then re-attaching?  Surely more work?

No a lot easier.. a run along with the quick unpick... you've got a nice straight edge to measure from... measure press reattach tape..  :)

shortening from the bottom you've got to undo corners undo hems  re measure.. re mitre corners  re hem curtain .. by hand..( I always hand hem) re hem lining and re sew corners  :\

Just adding with handmade headings triple pleat goblet single pleat I'd shorten from the bottom
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 14:31:37 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 14:19:53 PM »
I had a fair bit to cut off but yes to all the rest. hemming linings, hemming curtain, mitring, blah blah...that's why it hasn't been done for a while. A looong while.  :|
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 15:17:28 PM »
When I made or altered curtains ( many moons ago when funds were tight ) I always did it like Veggie said  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
Ah, I see, you're talking proper posh curtains  :P
Dunelm's blackout curtains are simply cut the bottom off, turn up and machine  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
OK, after a hectic weekend, time to re-assess the sewing situation.

The Vogue dress still needs finishing after my sulk over the marking pen incident.

Simple skirt turned into a huge tent through lack of concentration.

Bernina shirt dress still waiting to be cut out.  (Does linen viscose mix need washing?)

Pieced a couple of remnants together to make a larger piece for re-covering G Plan sewing room chairs.

I want another of these Vogue tops, they are lovely and cool for work.

Leotard alteration for Lilya.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
I am now awaiting (with anty pants) huge (for me) deliveries from I Want Fabric and the diabolical Craftsy sale. I need to get something anything done. Even if it's only the dishes.  :|
 :fish: for lazy lazy Wrenkins!!!!  :fish:

I've just noticed that George's hat matches the colour of my name box in my avatar. I might change him for Clara or Tommy who both have red hats. Mmmmm.
....and here she still is dithering....
GET UP!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:50:14 AM by wrenkins »

Sakar

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
I have revived an old Star-BOM from 2014. I didn't expect it, but it's really fun to continue with sewing these blocks (especially because I love the fabrics ;))

The flying geese from Imi's Mystery are finished too. Now I am waiting for the assembling instructions, because then I will see and calculate, how I can enlarge the quilt to a rectanlge top.

Yesterday I have started to construct a new bag for my guitar (after more than 20 years I has done its service). Today in the afternoon I will go shopping for some nice fabrics :D

Then I started planning a new little blanket for my cats. In the first week of July I have a "UFO-day" with some nice quilting friends and there I want to sew a small LogCabin-Quilt with my 60°C ruler.

And - the last "to-do" for this month - I wanted to sew a small bag as a gift for a nice quilting friend. The instruction for this I got today :)

So, there's enough to do, now the only thing I need, is time  :P

fajita

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
I've printed off this template. I'm going to have a go at making just one or two, just to see how tricky it is to press those curved seams. If it's not too bad I will head over to the sewing quarter to see if there is a video for their panda pops quilt.

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:08 AM »
Fajita Jo Carter did the Panda Pops yesterday I think. ( Or it might have been Sunday) I glinked in and she was definitely doing something with complicated looking shapes and pandas. It'll be on Youtube.
I have templates for drunkards path but I have never plucked up the courage to use them. I can go quite drunk enough in a straight line at the minute.
Good luck.

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
how I can enlarge the quilt to a rectangle top

You need Clue 2s, lots of 'em ...they are bridging pieces !

I enlarge my square crib size into a lovely cot quilt that way.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again