The Sewing Place

Celia weaves again

Celia

Celia weaves again
« on: March 18, 2022, 09:48:39 AM »
I am back to weaving at the moment, yesterday I warped up a new sample for a log cabin design, I followed a free pattern but am glad I only warped up a small warp because it’s not great, although I love the pattern so more research is required to find a better method of warping.
Hopefully photos might follow later.

Celia

Re: Celia weaves again
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 22:42:10 PM »
Well that didn’t work so I had to re thread this is where I am now, love the colour but it wasn’t what I wanted. I am testing out pattern with the idea of making the fabric to cover my kitchen chairs.

Celia

Re: Celia weaves again part 2
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 10:06:08 AM »
Here is what I was trying to weave the first time, it took a while to warp up but I am pleased with it so far, it will make a good scarf but even when finished it won’t be right for the kitchen chairs.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
Ooh, that's looking really good @Celia   Log cabin is on my list to try.  I really don't seem to have had a chance to get to grips with the weaving.  I think that's partly because I don't have a stash of yarn  and also I'm not yet familiar with weaving yarns and suppliers.
What yarn are you using for that log cabin and do you have a favourite supplier?
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »
@Ploshkin i have had the same problem and find a lot of the weaving yarns to be very expensive especially when you need more colours. I found some of the cottons difficult to get, so  I am using Drops Safron yarn for the log cabin and it seems to work well. https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/drops-safran-all-colours.

I have also used quite a few knitting yarns, I will look out the details and post some more if you like.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 12:48:50 PM »
Thankyou @Celia I think that's one issue - not knowing what yarns are going to work.
I was thinking of doing a collection of tea towels (I don't think I possess one less than 20 years old) to try out different patterns / weaves so I could probably start with a couple of cones of basic background colours and use smaller amounts of other coloured  yarns.  We could do with a wet week when I can't do stuff outside.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 00:05:58 AM »
That pattern is quite mesmerising, @Celia.

I might own some 20 year old tea towels but definitely don't use them in the kitchen. It doesn't help that most tea towels you buy, these days, recommend a cool delicates wash. No, they get disgusting and if they can't survive repeated 60C washes, then they're not fit for purpose!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 11:08:31 AM »
Thank you @Ouryve

I do have some 20 year old tea towels and am still using them in the kitchen,  they are the old union linen type and can be washed at 90 degrees, I do admit some even have the odd darn in them but it seems impossible to buy good quality ones like these now.

I have recently bought these and https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24633/E-cloth-Microfibre-Classic-Check-Tea-Towel---Black they are nice but won’t last as long I am sure.

@Ploshkin i think I need to make some too, I have made kitchen hand towels but not tea towels.