The Sewing Place

Using a binding attachment on Babylock coverstitcher

Bodgeitandscarper

Using a binding attachment on Babylock coverstitcher
« on: March 21, 2022, 13:18:15 PM »
I thought it was about time I tried to get to grips with these attachments, I've only had them about 4 or 5 years.

I tried the single fold one, not very successfully, then I wondered if I should be using the double fold as it's jersey fabric.  I have realised that you don't need to cut the binding on the bias, just across the stretch.

Using the double fold binder, I found I need to stretch the main fabric a little as it goes into the binding, is this right?  Otherwise the binding is too tight and puckers/pulls in the main fabric.  It's hard to know how much to stretch it though, I did it too much really.

Does anyone else use them?  Any tips please?

Ellabella

Re: Using a binding attachment on Babylock coverstitcher
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 16:13:23 PM »
Binders are a bit of an art until you get the hang of it.

I prefer a single fold as it gives less bulk.

Are you using the ones with the serpentine thing at the end? I don’t think I stretch the main fabric, just make sure that the binding flows freely. I wind it through the serpentine and then lay it over my shoulder so it is less likely to get caught, some people wrap it round a loo roll inner and then have it on a spindle so it can revolve but as I mainly use it for kids clothes and necklines I rarely have that sort of length

I learned a lot from watching Joanna Lindstrom videos on YouTube, I think she posts under ‘the Last Stitch’.

Once you’ve found the sweet spot for the binder, mark it somehow and attach the binder firmly so it doesn’t move when you are sewing.

Once you’ve got the hang of it it’s a game changer.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 17:24:43 PM »
Thanks @Ellabella , that's all useful to know.

I'm hoping to use the single fold too, so good to hear you use it successfully.  My single fold one doesn't have the serpentine bit though, so maybe I need one with that?  I had only threaded it through a couple of times on the double fold, but it still stretched the binding too tight.  Would changing the differential feed setting help I wonder?

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 18:36:21 PM »
I don’t change anything on my Babylock, it’s one of the reasons I bought a Babylock, they do the job without a lot of twiddling.

What sort of fabric are you using?

Are you cutting the binding to the correct width? Too narrow and it slips in the binder, too wide and it won’t flow through properly.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 19:19:31 PM »
I'm using a cotton jersey, it's not easy to cut as it keep curling up although I do use a ruler with built in rotary blade so that keeps it flatter.

I'll have another go tomorrow, thank you for your help.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 22:19:57 PM »
I find spraying some spray starch helps to stop the fabric curling when cut for binding strips.