The Sewing Place

Views of Janome 360DC?

HenriettaMaria

Re: Views of Janome 360DC?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 19:00:47 PM »
I had a 1970's Singer with adjustable pressure and now have a 2000's Brother without.  Both coped well with everything from fine linen/lawn to heavy coating, so it's not necessarily an either/or.  Take some remnants of different weights and compositions of fabrics with you when you go and see how the machines cope across straight, zig-zag and buttonhole stitching.  And try to do some edge-stitching and top-stitching - that's the real test of how well a machine feeds fabric.  There's no substitute for test-driving!

HappyCampers

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 07:51:21 AM »
to update, we finally got to the sewing machine shop yesterday (after 2 weeks of isolation with Covid) and tried the Brother A50 next to the Janome DC360

I actually felt the Brother had better ergonomics and was slightly easier to use, with the auto threader and all the error warnings (it wont let you do something silly like sew with the foot up) and the stitch selector dial

But my daughter felt the stitch qualiies of the Janome were nicer, even though it will let you do things wrong (ie it doesnt sense the correct foot is fitted etc) so she got that one . . .

thanks to everyone for helping us with the decision, now we just need to crack on and use it :)

Celia

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2022, 11:02:16 AM »
@HappyCampers i am so glad you found what you wanted.

This is just my personal opinion but brother are very good at the bells and whistles but not as good at the sheer mechanics of the machine, hope that makes sense

HappyCampers

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2022, 16:20:11 PM »
that's pretty much what my daughter said

The Janome felt closer to the mechanical Bernina she uses at school - and she's not worried about doing daft things like trying to sew with the foot up (which I did more than once)

Ouryve

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2022, 17:35:41 PM »
My janome doesn't allow you to sew with the foot up. It's been beeping impatiently quite a lot while I've been sewing fabric so thick I can't tell from a cursory glance that I haven't dropped it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"