The Sewing Place

Wooly Nylon problem

b15erk

Wooly Nylon problem
« on: March 22, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »
I was trying to finish the McCalls top last night, and I was nearly tearing my hair out with frustration by the time I had finished.

I use the Singer overlocker on a regular basis as it means I can leave the Pfaff coverstitch combi threaded up, and since I had it, I have had no problems at all.  It's not the prettiest, certainly not the quietist, but it does get on with the job.

Until last night that it.  I changed the thread to match the project colours a bit better, and replaced the pink wooly nylon with grey wooly nylon.  Should have been straightforward.  Not so.  For some reason, the wooly nylon has been shredding, and fouling up the mechanism.  I must have removed thread nests and re-threaded at least a dozen times.  I even changed the bobbin of wooly nylon, but it didn't improve matters.

Anyone else had trouble with wooly nylon?  First time for me, and strange because my o/l already had wooly nylon in it...

Hmmmmm :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

Re: Wooly Nylon problem
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 10:52:33 AM »
I've used wooly nylon a lot and haven't had those problems. Wonder if the grey is defective in some way? If the pink worked fine it's more likely to be the thread than anything else. Try unwinding a long length and then re-threading as the outer thread may have got damaged in some way. Other than that I dunno!!
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 10:57:27 AM »
I think you may be right @realale .  I'll put the pink back in and try running it again, but it seems very strange, and there doesn't seem anything else it can be...

Hope the o/l isn't starting to play up  :scream:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:13:49 PM »
Is it a different make @b15erk?   Why woolly nylon?  Just curious. 

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , I usually only use WN on stretch fabrics, but it this case it was just a neutral colour - the blouse is ombre fabric, so I thought a neutral grey would be fine.  It never ocurred to me that I would have a problem.

Just had a quick look, and the WN I took off the machine is Coats Gramax, and the one which I replaced it with is unbranded, and a lot thicker.  That may well be the problem.  If I have time, I'll try again later.

Jessie