The Sewing Place

Moss Bros - miracles happen here

Kad

Moss Bros - miracles happen here
« on: March 23, 2022, 11:16:04 AM »
DH needed a new suit as we've got 2 graduations and possibly a wedding to attend this year and his previous one had  'shrunk ' in the wardrobe  :P So yesterday off we went to the nearest large shopping centre. Now I know he's tall and has long legs but in our family he's not an unusual size. We could find jackets no problem he's a 44L everywhere - M&S, Next, JL and Moss Bros, trousers however did not exist - he needs 36w 35inseam, and the best we could find anywhere was 36/33 which is too short. The sales assistant in Moss Bros was adamant that a pair of their 36w33inseam could be lengthened by their 'alterations expert' to 35"inseam despite the trousers having a hem of 1 3/4" and that the hems would still be taped  :thinking: We're going to have to get him a MTM suit  :rant:

@Sandra is there a magical process, only known to alteration experts that would achieve this miracle?
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ouryve

Re: Moss Bros - miracles happen here
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »
My student summer job was as one of those alterations experts for a similar company. And nope!  :laugh:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 13:33:54 PM »

Kad

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 14:02:11 PM »

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 19:59:09 PM »
@Kad  It's possible to drop the hems down as much as is there, and put the tape back on.
I put a false hem on using fabric either identical or very close the main trouser fabric. The tape hides the join.

I alter a lot of trousers for the same shop so have a bag full of offcuts just in case I need to do just this job.

If there's an inch and three quarter in the hem allowance, by the time you've let them down you'll probably gain about an inch and half, so you might be half an inch short in the leg length.
You might get away with it. Trousers fit differently so it may not be a problem.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 08:51:55 AM »
Moss Bros ??? are you hiring or buying ???

If buying I think the miracle would be the idiot salesmans hope that you'd believe him.

Is he a squeaky voiced teen of The Simpsons variety?

And if you did buy them, believing the SVT's promises, would @Sandra  be receiving yet another impossible job?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 10:15:22 AM »
Do longer length legs exist in the next waist size? If so the waist could be taken in.

Kad

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 10:37:03 AM »
Do longer length legs exist in the next waist size? If so the waist could be taken in.

No, 33"inseam is the longest in stock items. We could have a pair made to match the jacket for an extra £100-150  :scream:. I was tempted to accept the offer of the services of their 'alterations expert ' just to witness a miracle  0_0, but after DH had a look at the site suggested by @LeilaMay  a suitably sized suit has been ordered.
To be fair, Next have a 'big & tall' range which would normally fit him, but we couldn't get a pair of trousers in the same time frame as a jacket which would have made trying on as a whole outfit impossible.
Thanks for all your help, looks like DS and future SIL will all be shopping at the same place.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 16:03:45 PM »
My OH is tall :)
Glad you've found it useful
Leila

Kad

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 18:24:06 PM »
Moss Bros ??? are you hiring or buying ???

If buying I think the miracle would be the idiot salesmans hope that you'd believe him.

Is he a squeaky voiced teen of The Simpsons variety?

I hate to say this but the *#*∆~ salesperson was female and not a teenager either.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 19:37:19 PM »
Oh Dear ... should have known better then!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again