The Sewing Place

Fancy sewing machine thoughts

Ploshkin

Re: Fancy sewing machine thoughts
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 10:00:13 AM »

@WendyW my QE4.2 isn't a prima donna, it takes a lot of abuse.  The only issue I've had with it sewing wise is skipping stitches with free motion quilting if I use the fmq foot.  I also find it very cramped for space round the bobbin area and I haven't got big hands.
@Bodgeitandscarper I managed to sew through 10 layers of canvas + interfacing - slowly of course and some manual turning of the handwheel.  I also make jeans quite often.
It does seem to have got a bit clunky - I think a service is called for.
Life's too short for ironing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 10:16:11 AM »
I think it depends on what you want to sew, doesn't it?
I have a stable of vintage machines, they sew my quilt pieces just fine :)
All I do envy is the larger harp you can get nowadays, as it would surely be easier to squeeze half a large quilt through one of those.

But I do like to be able to fix my own machines, so no other modern gizmo would tempt me.

"It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing"  huh?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2023, 12:31:31 PM »
@LeilaMay , I too get harp envy sometimes. Aside from cramming a big quilt through I see them and think how wonderful to be able to sew big bulky coats with ease.

Of course I only wear a short, unlined lightweight jacket because it's almost never cold enough for a coat. Which explains the 20+ coat patterns I own. A girl can dream.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ouryve

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2023, 12:54:24 PM »
Harp envy here, too. I'd like an Atelier for that alone.

And useful as the buttonhole bits are, the clutter that they and the needle threader I rarely use create around the needle is a big bugbear of mine. Sometimes I just need to be able to get both, also quite small, hands under there without scraping a knuckle.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2023, 18:08:24 PM »
Yesterday I used the lettering stitches on my computerised machine.
First time other then when I was playing around with it when it was new.
It was really handy!

mudcat

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2023, 22:42:32 PM »
@Renegade Sewist ... I've also collected a few winter coat patterns over the years with little need for them when I lived in Arizona.  However, in retrospect it was a good choice because in Nevada I'll need a few.  You never know ...

Bill

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2023, 14:07:12 PM »
There's around 240 stitches on my atelier. I use maybe 5 or 6 on a regular basis. Mostly some variation of a straight stitch and the overlocking one's.
Not what I bought it for though. More stitches just seem to be a non optional extra when spending increasing amounts of money on our machines.
I bought mine as it was my dream machine when I saw an advert from janome when I first started sewing. Big harp space, auto threading and cutting, needle down, super slow speed, big pedal and most importantly, it's got muscle. The atelier has abilities way beyond my skills. It's phenomenal! Love it to bits.
A vintage singer is on my wish list but to be honest, I don't know if I'd use it.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things