The Sewing Place

That story of the quilt that grew

Lisalou1965

That story of the quilt that grew
« on: March 28, 2022, 10:53:47 AM »
...and grew, and grew! Hi my lovelies, I have not been about for a while, life just got in the way of living, as it has a habit of doing - work, work, work, and my poor youngest daughter has not been well for a while. Anyway, less of the gloom. Over the last three months, i have been working on a hst quilt, inspired on the Beacon of hope pattern, and using up bits and bobs, you could say it is partially a scrappy quilt (I did have to buy the background colour and the backing)
Thing is, this started as an exercise to practise my hsts, right? A little lap quilt, right? Not right. My daughter (youngest) saw what I was doing and said "Oh this is finally MY quilt, isn't it? What can you say? So I thought, well a big cuddle quilt will be nice, and I grew the pattern a bit. But my idea made it a big big for a lap/cuddle and a bit small for her double bed ...sooooo

Not yet finished, but I have done the top - comes in at 89 inches square, fits her small double nicely - but, now my backing fabric is too small - bought before the growth spurt - and is no longer available. I am debating in making frames with the purple fabric so that the back is sort of windows - if that makes sense. Whatcha all think?

Will attach photos in a minute - techy probs

If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lisalou1965

Re: That story of the quilt that grew
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »
See if this works

Edit to add, that is not my teen’s bedroom, faaar too tidy!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:01:28 AM by Lisalou1965 »

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 11:30:41 AM »
 :thinking:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 16:01:40 PM »
Beautiful, @Lisalou1965

Hope life will be easier for you from now on.  :hug:

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 16:32:45 PM »
Backing for a quilt can be anything between one large piece of fabric to as many (or even more) pieces as in the front.  There are no rules and the quilt police are still incarcerated in @Acorn 's shed.  Do whatever you think will work.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Cazlyn

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 22:44:19 PM »
Looks lovely.
Crafting is my happy place

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 07:42:21 AM »
If you put a dedication/spare block on the back you can piece around it with different fabrics from the back.

I dont do this much anymore but did especially in the early years ... such as this Windmill quilt I made in 2014 celebrating ten years with HWMNBN  >:)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 09:03:16 AM »
I go with the 'there are no rules' school. But I'm not a quilter! It does look lovely, as does @Iminei 's. I'd go with a backing like hers - looks planned rather than 'oops I ran out'
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 09:30:53 AM »
I almost always buy a sheet of duvet cover for backing.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lisalou1965

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 10:46:46 AM »
Some good ideas there, thank you ladies. I have spent the better part of yesterday afternoon getting my mathematical calculations TOTALLY WRONG  :rant: :rant: :headbang: :rant: :headbang: :rant:
I was actually reaching the conclusion that @Lowena's idea was the best one, but I would really like to use the fabric I  bought for the backing, as my daughter loves it.
I think I might have found a solution, but will not know until I try to put it together...more on this anon.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 13:04:12 PM »
Just remember that the more you have to solve a problem with a quilt, the more unique it becomes.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 19:34:04 PM »
Just remember that the more you have to solve a problem with a quilt, the more unique it becomes.   :thumb:

That is encouraging - i can see this quilt becoming really unique!!!! Hopefully I have solved the maths enigma - needless to say it was not rocket science, just me being predictably dull when it comes to numbers!

Lisalou1965

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 17:46:39 PM »
The saga continues  :rolleyes:

I finally worked out how to use the fabric I had and make “windows” using the purple background from the front. Perfect! Only I needed a bit more purple...not an issue, my local always has the complete range of these...only not this particular shade of purple. It can be ordered, of course, but I must commit to buy 10 meters  :faints:
So, I decided to take another accent color and do this

Lisalou1965

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 17:50:55 PM »
It’s a bit wonky (see how I used a technical term there?) but dear daughter likes it so, good enough. Tomorrow to sandwich it all. Wish me luck!

Awful photo, will try to take a. Enter one tomorrow when I sandwich

Lisalou1965

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 15:27:17 PM »
Better   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  pictures