The Sewing Place

Covering a memory foam seat cushion/back support

charlotte

Covering a memory foam seat cushion/back support
« on: March 28, 2022, 11:16:19 AM »
Wedding done... next project:

I have this memory foam seat cushion for my home office desk.

It is extremely comfortable on my Ikea folding chair and can be easily stashed away when my home office has to become a guest bedroom.

After two years, it looks like some degree of homeworking is here to stay, and I'd like to upgrade my office space a bit. I was thinking of making a new cover for my cushion, perhaps in some lux velvet upholstery fabric - I've been looking at the thread Missie started for ideas.

How would you tackle this project?

I can see curved lines, which presumably give the cover shape around the bend (like inverse princess seams). Can I just trace off the old cover, or do I need to cut it up to get the right curved lines?

Should I make a mock up of the cover first once I've got a pattern, or will I be okay snipping straight into my (potentially pricey) upholstery fabric?

Iminei

Re: Covering a memory foam seat cushion/back support
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 11:31:45 AM »
WWWWHHHAAAAAATTTT???

You only got married on Saturday ... Rest, have some time together not doing anything .. Love!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 12:37:00 PM »
WWWWHHHAAAAAATTTT???

You only got married on Saturday ... Rest, have some time together not doing anything .. Love!

Hahaha! It's okay, it's been a month since the wedding already. I'm not THAT crazy!  :laughing:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
I suspect I would cut straight into the quality fabric, mess it all up and wish I hadn't  :\
Or I would take apart the cover on it now to use as a pattern, mess it all up and wish I hadn't.
So I reckon a practise run would be the way to go  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Missie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 15:37:45 PM »
Id go for a mock-up due to the curves