The Sewing Place

Abe Books

Bumblebuncher

Abe Books
« on: April 02, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »
I thought I would treat  myself to a book on crewel embroidery as it gets irritating looking for inspiration on the internet after a while.  I had set myself a budget of £25 and was looking for a pretty colourful book with stitches in.  I looked for a number of recommendations and googled them, which is where I saw Abe books and actually looked at them for once.  I have seen them around for a while but in my mind was not thinking they were a good book shop.
What they actually are is an off shoot of Amazon dealing in books and things like that.  I looked for the book I wanted that retails at over £20 and found it... second hand for £4 postage free (as a Prime member). I then looked for other books and now have 5, I repeat 5, being winged to me from different second hand bookshops around the country for my original £25  One of them is coming from a bookshop I know well in Norwich.
They appear to have at least a week delivery on them but I will let you know how it goes
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

LeilaMay

Re: Abe Books
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 12:50:09 PM »
Abe books used to be an independent umbrella for bookshops I believe, and then was perhaps taken over by Amazon?
But they are super useful, wandering through the bookshelves of numerous second-hand bookshops without leaving your seat :)

I have purchased from a number of shops via the portal, and always had good results. And you can sometimes find books that are otherwise unavailable.
:)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 12:59:36 PM »
We've used Abe quite a lot, I didn't think they are anything to do with Amazon?  Very good for cheap books  :)

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 13:03:21 PM »
I've used Abe a lot and didn't know they had Amazon connections. They are good for sourcing rare, old books and act as an umbrella for lots of independent bookshops around the country....some I know well.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 13:06:04 PM »
Having just googled, Abe books was acquired by Amazon in 2008.  You learn something new every day  :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 13:10:38 PM »
Yes I knew about the Amazon connection so no good if you are trying to avoid shopping via Amazon. However abebooks is super useful and I've used it a lot.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 13:21:58 PM »
It's a shame that nothing seems to be independent any more......however.....I'm in no position to moan as 95% of my online shopping is through Amazon
Triumph of hope over experience :D

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 13:24:17 PM »
I've used Abe Books and orders seem to turn up quickly not like some of the book sites.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 16:36:01 PM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 15:16:37 PM »
DH uses Abe books to get a guide to valuation for some of his rarer books.