The Sewing Place

Instructions differ from the plan

Bill

Instructions differ from the plan
« on: April 02, 2022, 21:03:50 PM »
I need your help folks as this one is setting off my depression big time.
There are no short broken lines on the plan that match the instructions. I'm following the black ink on the plan as the text indicates that to be the correct one. Help!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Lachica

Re: Instructions differ from the plan
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 21:29:58 PM »
The short broken lines will be the stitching lines. If the book tells you the seam allowance is 15mm then your short broken lines will be 15mm from the edge.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 21:51:12 PM »
Yes, it's that line on the pattern. It's almost horizontal at the bottom as that is underneath. The vertical seam with no dotted line below that is legs!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 23:13:15 PM »
Coming back to this because I know you're a relative novice sewer and I don't know if you've made trousers of any sort before.

The basic construction is 4 seams. A long one down either side plus 2 arches, one up one leg an down the other and one down  the belly, under the crotch and up the rear. In the case of your boxers, that is interrupted by the fly opening.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 00:16:22 AM »
@Bill  if you have never constructed a fly before I would suggest you look at a few tutorials (written or video whichever suits you best) and find one that makes sense to you and have a try out ( or plural) on some scrap fabric.
It doesn't matter if it isn't quite the same construction as the pattern you are using, find one that works for you.

I have a go to fly method ( I have to go by my scribbled notes every time I do one) but I always use this method regardless of the pattern instructions which sometimes means cutting the facing pieces different from the pattern pieces.  A fly is not an easy thing to do, try not to get depressed about it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 01:06:27 AM »
This.  There are numerous methods for a fly.  The right way is what works for you.

Also flat fell seams are not going to be perfect the first few times you do them and unless you have a twin needle and binder (which is largely a specialty machine), they will be a long, tedious thing.  Look good, but don't beat yourself up over this either.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 10:37:21 AM »
It's more that the sewing line indicated in the instructions isn't present on the plan, so I've no idea if I'm to sew dead vertical to the bottom or if there's a slant or a curve etc.

I've since done a seam (red dotted line) directly from the dot parallel to the cut line on the plan and trimmed about 2" off leaving enough for the flat fell seam.
The blue squiggly area seems pointless on the plan.

Thankyou for all your help so far.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 10:43:20 AM »
I think @Bill is making boxer shorts so the fly is different to trousers.  I make my Sons boxers but am struggling to quite understand this pattern, which pattern is it.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 10:59:47 AM »

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 12:14:47 PM »
Oh @Bill ! You might have trouble sitting down now! That fabric you've cut off was there for a reason......the seam line will be (probably) 15 mm away from the cut edge, the book should tell you the seam allowance. Use the markings on your sewing machine to stitch at this distance.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 12:50:57 PM »
Ah...oops!  :laughing:
I'll stick it back on....somehow.... ><

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 13:04:03 PM »
You've just made yourself a mini skirt!

Bill

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 13:23:25 PM »
You've just made yourself a mini skirt!

:laughing:

Celia

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 13:37:28 PM »
I have marked in purple the sewing line for the size large just so you can see it.  Hope this helps, sorry for the wobbly line.

Ouryve

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 13:50:52 PM »
That vertical seam needs to be stitched to the back and not to the other half of the front, though, Celia.

Might help to jump to stitch the back pieces together then opening them up. You will then see how the fronts fit together. The same but with the fly hole in the middle.