The Sewing Place

Instructions differ from the plan

Ouryve

Re: Instructions differ from the plan
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 13:56:57 PM »
And I've just taken another look at this pic and realised there are no side seams.

The seams I've marked in red are the inside legs which need to be stitched last, front to back.

If you cut out a new pair, try following the instructions with just pins or basting (no cutting! ) so you can see how they fit together.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 13:59:28 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 14:23:51 PM »
When I make trousers I find it easier to stitch the legs into tubes and only then stitch the legs together along the crotch seam.  The only exception to this is if I'm doing high-spec fly openings with zips, facings and all that malarkey, which are always easier to do on the flat.  Given that this is a pair of boxers and given you are learning, I would recommend the legs-first approach.  It's a lot easier to see how the pieces go together that way.

Do note that when you come to position the legs prior to stitching the crotch seam you need one leg inside out and one leg right side out.  The right side out one is slid inside the inside out one so you wind up with right sides together.

I make DH silk boxers for sleeping in and I've simplified them down so much they have no side seam and no fly, which makes them a breeze!

Celia

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 16:08:08 PM »
That vertical seam needs to be stitched to the back and not to the other half of the front, though, Celia.

Might help to jump to stitch the back pieces together then opening them up. You will then see how the fronts fit together. The same but with the fly hole in the middle.

Yes sorry I didn’t make that clear, when you make something a lot you just do it and it can be difficult to explain especially with a different pattern.

Ouryve

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 16:27:19 PM »
Definitely! Makes it even harder that it's impossible to draw in 3d.

One last piece of advice to @Bill is find something similar and compare all the parts to your instructions. OK, your daughter might look at you funny for examining the crotch of your undies or jeans but they're the ultimate 3d picture.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bill

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 11:26:27 AM »
As always, thanks everyone for their help on this.
I've put the boxers to bed for now. They're doing my head in.
Working on a wallet instead till I can get more fabric in sufficient quantities.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

weary

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
Hello Bill,

When you are ready to roll with this it maybe worth having a look at a few youtube 'how to' videos.  (I can't see that anyone has already suggested this - apologies if they have.)   For, example, here is one that takes you through constructing a boxer fly step by step in less than 7 mins.  She actually starts with the seam that gave you the 'issue' initially(?).   A youtube search for +++ boxer sew fly  +++ or similar will turn-up alternatives if that particular video doesn't suit.

Phil
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:07:18 PM by weary »