The Sewing Place

washi

Re: how to organise needles?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 17:05:51 PM »
Seeing as it's confession time, I'm a lazy daisy too....  I use just one size needles 70/10 (I think), although I have been known to use a microtex if the fabric is misbehaving. 

Loads of different sizes and shapes in the needle box, but they are rarely (if ever), used.

I took this advice from Peggy Sagers, and it has saved me lots of money and stress.

Jessie

I do this too! I used 70/10 the vast majority of the time without a problem. I don't know if it is because I started sewing in the dark ages before all the different needles were available or what, but somehow I decided that 70/10 universals were really all I needed. I go up to 90/14 for jeans, and I have some microtex and ballpoints that I will pull out for finicky fabrics. I recently recieved a shipment of 110/18 universals by mistake and sent them back as I can't imagine when I would ever use them. Especially 100 of them.  :o

Vegegrow

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 19:49:19 PM »
During my recent splurge on Schmetz needles from Jaycotts I bought some 'metallic' needles   used them today.. what a difference no shredded thread...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

elephun

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 18:46:50 PM »
That's a good idea. I usually tape it to something stiff, wrap in a piece of junk mail and tape it again. Neither can go in the recycling bin but your system is probably safer and creates far less waste per needle.  :)

If my medication bottle is big enough for razor blades, they go in there, but I'm currently using a narrow bottle. I wrap them in masking tape. Your technique sounds like a good way to dispose of razor blades; more effective and less like I'm going to cut myself in the process of disposing of them! I'll have to remember it.

Catllar

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 13:25:20 PM »
I store my used needles in one of those tomato pincushion. I've divided it up with a permanent marker by size etc and the needles go in the relevant bit. When I use a needle it is replaced on the tomato by a large-headed pin so I know where to put it back.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 19:44:38 PM »
I have a little plastic pot that all the sewing needle case/packets (ie, those plastic things they come in) go into for tidiness.  When I use a needle the case/packet it came out of is stored horizontally on top of all the other ones.  If, when I'm done, the needle still has some life in it, it is returned to the case/packet but facing the other way, ie, flat face out (or domed, whichever is the norm for the others).  I start at the left side of the pack and work rightwards.  That way, I know which have been used.  If the next job is a quick repair, say, I'll reuse the old needle, but if it's a big project I'll start with a new one and only reuse the old one if the newer one pegs out before I'm finished (or I break it!).