The Sewing Place

Lyn-J

Re: how to organise needles?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 20:03:25 PM »
Elephun, so useful, thanks!
I've just checked my needles - some must predate this as they don't have any colours on them.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 20:54:24 PM »
I can`t read the needle without a magnifying glass

!!!???!!!  :o  Theres writing on needles ???!!!???  :o   :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 21:02:55 PM »
I've got a home made system, pretty low-tech but it works well for me as I use the same needles in my sewing, overlocking and coverstitching machines but swap over from universal to stretch on a regular basis so there can be a lot of part-used needles hanging around and as I use both Schmetz and Organ the colour system only partially helps. At first I used to stick them in the sponge thread support but that wasn't ideal as I sometimes have to cart the coverstitch and overlocker around.

I was given a little sewing bits n bobs box and was wondering how to use it when the idea hit me. I made up a small rough and ready multi-leaf needle case from the scraps of lycra on the table and used my Frixxion pens to mark up the type and sizes (some sizes sharing one leaf) and expected I might use it occasionally and then revert to sticking them back in the packets. But no, it's been working well for me ever since - I must get around to making a nicer looking version sometime.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Jo

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 21:25:20 PM »
Haha Imi, yes, there's writing on them :)
I use Organ needles (came with my Brother machine and are the easiest to find in my area). Color codes are:
- blue for jeans
- yellow/gold for jersey
- red for stretch
- no color for universal

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 21:33:06 PM »
I keep the empty needle boxes when they've been used, and if I've only lightly used a needle, I put it into the relevant slot in an empty box, but put a blob of nail varnish on the box so I know it doesn't have new needles in it. If a needle has had heavier use however, I drop it loose into my box of feet, accessories etc. Then if I need a needle for some less than high standard (!) task (e.g. I am about to shorten my garden parasol cover to fit), I can use one of those.

elephun

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 00:38:12 AM »
What do you do with spent, bent, and broken needles?

Mine go into an empty medication bottle I've drilled a small hole in the center of the lid. When it's full I throw the whole bottle away and no one gets stuck if they have to go into the trash for some reason.

Vegegrow

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 12:45:10 PM »
Just made this filing system from a picture frame and a bit of quilted cotton which had a pattern that has easy to see sections .. I hope it will work for me
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:46:59 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Hachi

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 13:34:38 PM »
Vegegrow,
A picture frame! That is brilliant.

Marniesews

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 13:56:45 PM »
Mine go into an empty medication bottle I've drilled a small hole in the center of the lid. When it's full I throw the whole bottle away and no one gets stuck if they have to go into the trash for some reason.

That's a good idea. I usually tape it to something stiff, wrap in a piece of junk mail and tape it again. Neither can go in the recycling bin but your system is probably safer and creates far less waste per needle.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

washi

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 19:18:27 PM »
I use Organ universals and Schmetz specialty needles. If I swap out the Organ universal needle, I usually toss it as I sew with these 90% of the time, they are likely ready for a change and they are pretty inexpensive. For the Schmetz needles, I tape the case to the machine when I change the needle(s), then return it when I'm done. Used needles get a little 'X' over their slot with a permanent marker and go all the way to the left of the case. The exception are twin needles which I don't bother to mark as they are one unit per case and I use them until they cause stitching problems or I am feeling flush at a sale.

elephun

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 22:23:33 PM »
Here is the pattern for a Needle Organizer that's available on Craftsy that I mentioned earlier. It's on sale at the moment, too.

Here is a FREE pattern for a clever Needle Organizer Pincushion on Craftsy.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 22:25:26 PM by elephun »

PollyWally

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 01:48:30 AM »
I keep my needles in a seven day tablet organiser box using a different compartment for each type of needle. Finally sorting my needles out I found I had more than I realised including quite a few stretch needles which I hardly ever use.

Efemera

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
I'm going to make a confession.... I've been sewing for decades and been sewing knits forever BUT never use a ballpoint needle.. I have some but can never be bothered changing it... I never really give a thought to the type of needle unless it's to change for a big size for jeans...as I said I'm a sewing slut!..I usually just stick to a medium size universal one.

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
Seeing as it's confession time, I'm a lazy daisy too....  I use just one size needles 70/10 (I think), although I have been known to use a microtex if the fabric is misbehaving. 

Loads of different sizes and shapes in the needle box, but they are rarely (if ever), used.

I took this advice from Peggy Sagers, and it has saved me lots of money and stress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

elephun

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 19:22:02 PM »
If the one needle sews well for you, there's no reason to change it, IMO.
I do get nice results with a universal needle, but I like the results I get a little better if I switch between Microtex and Stretch needles deepending on the fabric type. I have to change the size depending on the thread and fabric as well.