The Sewing Place

A bag not for pickpockets!

Marniesews

A bag not for pickpockets!
« on: April 06, 2022, 23:23:52 PM »
It's the Guardian backpack by Linds Handmade Designs which keeps the pickpockets at bay by having the only opening on the side that sits against the wearer's back. My SIL has long been looking for this type in a modest size but most RTW seem to be on the big side.

Finally, it's not in that purple fabric unlike my previous 4 bags! This one is in a polyester (?) knit furnishing fabric (hurrah for Immanuel's again) with quilting cotton front & back while the lining is actually cotton with a bit of stretch that's been tamed with woven interfacing.

Soooo many changes most noticeably by adding a pocket to the front! Other changes included using removable backstraps rather than fixed, a removable pad for the optional shoulder strap, extra stabiliser in the sides, back and front and most of all (having seen how much people struggled with those side pieces in the online tutorials) I bound all the internal seams - not just the base. Finally I added a rigid separate drop-in base so the bag wouldn't touch the ground between the feet even with a bit of weight in it.

I'm still pretty new to bag making - this is my 5th in as many months but this pattern isn't an easy sew. Certainly mine isn't perfect by a long way but I think it's presentable enough to give her and I'm sure she'll forgive the odd wobbly stitching here and there.

The Red Herring pocket – a good place for smart water perhaps?  :devil:

Couldn't get another pair of the wider snap hooks in time so ended up with unconventional D rings on the straps

May be a pain to flip the backstraps over the top every time to access that big zip opening (this is the shoulder strap in the photo) but there's great visibility of the contents when you do. And a bit of comfort for the old gals with bony shoulders... ;)

Extra rigidity added to the grab handle and below it to stop the bag slouching when lifted there and a close up of the terror of this pattern - the top of the side panels!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 23:29:18 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Cazlyn

Re: A bag not for pickpockets!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 04:57:48 AM »
Wow it looks great, I’m sure she’ll love it.
Crafting is my happy place

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:39:02 AM »
Very nice indeed - and such a professional finish.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:30:24 AM »
That's a really attractive bag and so useful.  Well done  :thumb: I'm sure it will be well received.
So many beers, so little time.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 08:12:07 AM »
Oo, a lovely professional finish and great choice of fabrics. Very impressive and I’m sure your SIL will be delighted with it.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 08:48:15 AM »
Wonderful ... and as ever I am in awe of someone who can make useful stuff!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 08:50:55 AM »
It looks superb.   :perfect10:
I am in awe of those of you who can make such professional looking bags.  My expertese only runs to a simple tote.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 08:59:31 AM »
That's great, beautifully made. I'm sure your SIL will be very pleased.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 09:27:23 AM »
Super bag, very professional looking, lucky SIL.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
Very smart bag extremely well made by the look of it.

Diane

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
@Marniesews What a super bag, looks amazing  :perfect10:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

KayK

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 11:12:40 AM »
Wow!  What a fabulous bag, so well finished!  I am envious of your skills!  I would think anyone would be delighted with a bag like that! :thumb:
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 11:29:28 AM »
Looks great!  And it looks like a difficult one to make!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 14:30:05 PM »
Great looking bag. 

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 20:01:48 PM »
Gosh, I was thinking it looked a bit unconventional with the central hook & D rings on the straps...and I know where the stitching wobbles are!   :lipsrsealed:

You're all very kind but I've got to say it's a very accessible craft, especially for you vintage machine owners.  :)

It requires some reasonably accurate sewing (my clear foot with ¼", ⅛" & ⅜" guides is a real boon) but you can easily hack just a few patterns for lots of different looks. So you can just focus on a few to begin with.

Loads of really good free patterns and there's so much info out there about the way all the different types of stabilisers are used as well as various sources of support, not only from the bag making fb groups, but most pattern designers include a detailed video for each pattern and in addition many, many bag makers do their own tutorials/sewalongs including regular 'lives' where you can ask questions as they sew.

Would there be any interest in me putting together a guide to beginning bags from my own recent experiences? It's a big field these days and definitely not a cheap hobby with all the stuff that goes into a 'proper' bag but I've got my own notes on good tutorials, pattern designers (a huge number but some are particularly good for sewing on domestics rather than industrials) plus suppliers & price guides.

Just a thought…
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 20:06:24 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.