The Sewing Place

Rope for shoulder / shopping bag?

HappyCampers

Rope for shoulder / shopping bag?
« on: April 07, 2022, 13:10:11 PM »
this isn't so much a make but a fix, I am looking for some soft rope to repair broken straps on a large shoulder bag - but wondering what rope would work (cotton? jute?), and what size, and where from?

Ebay shows 20mm cotton rope at 2m for £10 and this size sounds like it would work well - but that seems pricey and I don't know how I would fix it (ie stitch, rivet?). The bag has 25mm eyelet holes currently

Ellabella

Re: Rope for shoulder / shopping bag?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 13:22:24 PM »
If the bag has eyelet holes can you thread the rope through and knot it on the inside so it won’t pull through the hole.

Can’t help with buying the rope I’m afraid.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 13:35:31 PM »
B&Q (other hardware shops also but I know B&Q) do have ropes of different types and size for sale by the metre
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 14:08:06 PM »
Chandlers (sp?) stock rope - but that needs you to be by the sea or a canal?
:)

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 14:09:33 PM »
Try a chandlery for rope as they often sell odd lengths left over.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 14:37:50 PM »
I used this rope in the 20mm size with 20mm eyelets on my beach bag.  The rope is nice and soft, but very strong, and I just knotted it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 17:13:21 PM »
A classic beach bag Acorn for the Côte d'Azur or Camber Sands. Beautifully lined, I like it!

I've got a pair of rope handles by Prym bought in a sale a couple of years ago that I'd forgotten about for some reason.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.