The Sewing Place

Too Much?

Gernella

Too Much?
« on: April 10, 2022, 14:10:41 PM »
What intrigued me about this at first was the tv, never seen one like this one.  The lady was looking for a table to put a new overlocker on, which had me thinking.  Can you have too much space?  Same with enormous kitchens; that defy the rules on too much walking between fridge, freezer, cooker, microwave etc.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

Re: Too Much?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 14:36:08 PM »
I have had a similar conversation with OH recently about kitchens!  When we had the kids at home (his two daughters and mine all lived with us) we needed a bigger kitchen.  More worktops, space for more than two to move around and cook in.  Now we have a small kitchen we really don't mind, only two of us at a time so there is plenty of room.
When I had a large room devoted to my sewing supplies I could spend half a day looking for something that could have been in anyone of four cupboards as well as multiple storage boxes but I needed the space as I was making around 30 pantomime costumes a year.  Now everything I have is in one third of a small bedroom and I know where everything is, but do not need as much as I do less sewing.
In other words I think you only need as much room as you use.  For me, now, that would be way too much space!
And the tv is ridiculous  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 14:39:54 PM »
Blimey!  I thought at first that screen was an artefact of a fish-eye lens but, no, they exist and Currys have them.  Far too wide IMO. 

This room looks more like an office than a sewing room.  I like the idea of having a space for each machine so there's none of the bring one out, put one away thing that I've been doing today, but I don't like the twin-pedestal arrangement and never have.  Poor ergonomics that means you can't pivot the chair and instead have to twist from the waist.

During the period between when I moved south to a new job and DH and I completed on our new house, we lived in a shared house that had a vast kitchen.  It was in a full-width extention with the fridge at one end and the sink at the other.  You really did get tired of trekking back and forth.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 15:07:22 PM »
Husband uses twin monitors for his work but they fit together in a 1m alcove.

The only plus I could imagine of that much floor space is bring able to wheel out a massive cutting table that you can get to from all angles. I agree that I would want better work space for machining, though.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 15:37:57 PM »
I feel it would be much more fun with only one chair... what a delight charging from one part of that room to another  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 16:03:57 PM »
I have a large sewing space and it has good points and bad.

It flows in a workable way...and I have enough space for all the junk I need.  Biggest problem is that my husband uses my "extra" space to shove whatever in where he wants to put it....so the walk through between my machines is blocked by his bloody table saw so I have to walk around everything to get to the machines from the door.

As to the chairs, I have 2....one for my industrials and one for the specialized machines.  The machines are set up in an L shape, with machines on both sides of the short side of the L.  One chair for each part of the L.  Wheels on chairs in a sewing room is a PITA with all the threads getting into the wheels.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 17:00:24 PM »
I am seriously jealous.
The kitchen and sewing room I had in our old house were huge with space for everything and space to spare. Now I'm stuck with a room barely bigger than a box room for my sewing definitely not really a keen sewists room. The kitchen isn't much bigger either and that definitely isn't a cooks kitchen. We had a large house and downsized to a bungalow, stupidly I didn't think of things like that when we bought this  :cry:.
Makes me wonder if that's why it's a huge effort for me to sew these days  :thinking:.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 17:09:27 PM »
No, you can never have too much space. @Surest1tch that's why when we moved in 2019 ( both in our early 70s)we purposefully didn't downsize at all. We worked out what we wanted / needed and found a house that had it all. This house is actually bigger than our previous one but with less land.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 19:45:23 PM »
I'd be very happy with a room that size  :)

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 20:54:50 PM »
I'd be very happy with a room that size  :)

Me too!

No, you can never have too much space. @Surest1tch that's why when we moved in 2019 ( both in our early 70s)we purposefully didn't downsize at all. We worked out what we wanted / needed and found a house that had it all. This house is actually bigger than our previous one but with less land.

We are looking at the moment and also want something slightly larger than we currently have.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 20:57:07 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Celia

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »
I think it is more to do with the layout than being too large.

Too much space you can do something with too little can drive you mad unless you are very disciplined and have no hobbies or interests.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
I agree with @Celia about layout.

It looks like a commercial office but as a sewing room, the layout is poorly designed with everything shoved up against the walls.

If it was my room, I’d have the work tables in the middle of the room in larger square shapes to walk around easily and be able to lay out large pieces of fabric, keeping some of the walls for book shelves/storage.

I have a large-ish sunroom (30ft x 11ft) and have the TV on the wall with a pretty cover over it so it doesn’t dominate the room when it’s not being watched.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 10:33:09 AM »
I think if I had one that size I'd be either tempted to fill it with 'sewing' or get something else in like a sofa.   What I have is long 17ft but narrow, around 8ft so I can't have anything in the middle.  Something in the middle would be a good idea for this room, as @WildAtlanticWay said.  I don't want a tv there and although I have a radio, in fact there are two, I don't have them on.

I although thought it looked a bit soulless, maybe too much matchy, matchy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

realale

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »
It looks a bit 'cold' and uninviting to me. I have gadgets and pictures and stuff all around to inspire me ( :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:). I once read somewhere that you can't be creative without making a mess - I have a very creative house.  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 11:59:30 AM »
It looks a bit 'cold' and uninviting to me. I have gadgets and pictures and stuff all around to inspire me ( :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:). I once read somewhere that you can't be creative without making a mess - I have a very creative house.  :P
I think you have hit the nail on the head!  I was trying to work out why I wouldn't want it rather than the cramped space I have at the moment.  It is because it looks so clinical!  Where is all the 'stuff'?
I used to have pots of buttons and spools of braid etc so I could reach for them without thinking too much about it.  Things like scissors and pins I lost all the time but patterns were on a shelf that I could just look through if I wanted them.  Books to peruse were another shelf. 
Baskets with all ongoing projects, drawings on a pin board of future projects.  Bits of fabric and notions pinned with the drawings!  Just stuff!
I will say it again... where is the stuff?
My conclusion is that this lady has too much space for need!  I used to need the space and now (I admit I could do with more) I do not need the amount of space I used to have for sewing.
I would add that while I had a sewing room, other rooms were utilised for crafts that I can no longer participate in due to lack of space.  I used to paint a lot but have not done so since moving as there is no room for that!
I get the feeling that TV echoes throughout the room when it is on  :laughing: