The Sewing Place

Too Much?

Lowena

Re: Too Much?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 12:22:10 PM »
@realale and @Bumblebuncher I don't have any stuff out in my sewing room. Everything is in drawers ( scissors, rotary cutter, rulers etc ) or in their specific boxes ( fabrics, threads, habby bits etc) The only thing I have next to the machine is a small pin cushion. The walls are bare too...I couldn't work any other way.Perhaps she's the same
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 12:42:50 PM »
@Lowena I did think that, but then I couldn't see enough drawers or boxes to warrant the space she has set up!  I really don't know what it is about the set up in this room in particular but it just doesn't look real to me!  It doesn't look tidy, or as if things have been put away, it looks empty and unused!  If you look to the left there is no wall, the room continues.  Maybe it is a classroom type set up, in which case it makes sense.

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Kenora

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 20:55:27 PM »
I'm with @Lowena . :) I have all my "stuff" packed away in drawers or cupboards in my sewing room. I couldn't work in a mess, or even in a slightly untidy workspace. Everything has its place, and I pack all my stuff away when I've finished a sewing session. Good job we're all different.  :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 22:03:09 PM »
Love having a sewing room so that I can just walk away and leave everything out. That way I don’t waste time when I’m next there.  And if I have a few spare minutes I can do something constructive. 

I have to say I don’t think this room looks as though it’s really used.  Not a set up that would suit me. 
I don’t understand all the space in the middle….for what?   Just walking across? :thinking:

mudcat

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 17:02:19 PM »
The decor is not to my taste ... way too much white furniture. But the room size is not a problem for me.  I still miss my sewing room in my other house where the prior owner had added an extension to the two front bedrooms which doubled the size.  My current room is too small.  The one I will be moving into next month is about a foot wider both ways which I think will be more accommodating. 

I dislike clutter or rooms that have too much furniture in them so even with the same furniture the larger space will be more comfortable.   My sewing room furniture is office furniture but I think it looks fine.  I like that the cabinets/shelves and L shaped table are of the same materials. 

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 10:19:10 AM »
Being really picky that paint on the walls in green is not good, especially with the white furniture.

My idea of tidying up when I leave is stuff what I'm working on over the machine and put the lid on, cover the thread racks up with their covers, put a cover over the overlocker.  If I've used the coverstitch machine, that has large sewing machine bag over the top of it.

This is not because I'm super tidy, it's because I want to go back and find it looking the same and because of:

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ann

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 12:34:19 PM »
When I looked at the room, I thought this isn't a sewing room. I know it has been cleaned to within an inch of its life to be photographed but there are no signs of anything, other than the machines, to say it is a sewing room.

I don't like the color as it interferes with seeing the correct colors of the fabric. I like light grey or white walls for that. Her lighting is terrible as I see none. I like daylight LED lights. I'm sensitive to color choices which drives everyone nuts.

I have a huge sewing room (17 x 25 feet) and it has good and bad points. I have areas set up for sewing, pressing, cutting, the doll, library, and yarn. I have room to put a twin size quilt on the floor when laying it out. I am trying to sew down my stash and won't need all the space I have. But, I will enjoy it while I have it. When I down size I do have a plan on what I will take and what I will get rid of. It is a matter, to me, of making choices. 
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres