The Sewing Place

Nightgown for summer - Pattern Ideas?

SewCanDad

Nightgown for summer - Pattern Ideas?
« on: April 11, 2022, 18:42:27 PM »
Hi folks, you won't find me in here often being a guy but the good wife has asked for a nightgown for the warm summer months. All I've been told is that she would like below the knee in length (probably), short sleeves and possibly Victorian(ish) plain style (no fancy lace or minimum). She is open to different neck lines but no elastic :meditate:
Any ideas on tried & tested patterns, I'm at a loss  :embarrassed: lol

Iminei

Re: Nightgown for summer - Pattern Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:22:13 AM »
Hi there and Welcome to TSP ....  Sounds like a simple make ... but then again What do I know ?? ? :devil:

I made a couple of Djellabas for my OH a long time ago which sound similar to the style your wife is asking for ..
perfect in a nice light cotton lawn, chopped off at the knees/arms as desired

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewCanDad

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:40:03 PM »
@Iminei looks perfect, thank you  :thumb:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 20:42:26 PM by Iminei »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:41:07 PM »
That pattern should be nice and easy.   No separate sleeves

Celia

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 13:31:32 PM »
That’s s good idea, I have a top in a similar shape if I made it longer it would make a good nightdress  :thinking:

Bill

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 16:41:17 PM »
Hi folks, you won't find me in here often being a guy

I believe the stories of lady TSP clans chasing men who dared go near a sewing machine with their sharpened pitchforks have been greatly exaggerated.
I'm not so sure about @Diane and @Bodgeitandscarper though. Those two are unpredictable.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

realale

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 16:55:19 PM »
I believe the stories of lady TSP clans chasing men who dared go near a sewing machine with their sharpened pitchforks have been greatly exaggerated.
I'm not so sure about @Diane and @Bodgeitandscarper though. Those two are unpredictable.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 17:00:23 PM »

@Bill you are shocking   :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: me and @Bodgeitandscarper will be knocking on your door if you don’t watch it  :devil:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 17:02:45 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bill

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 17:11:41 PM »
 :laughing:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 18:57:53 PM »
@Diane Shall I pick you up on the way?  Be afraid, @Bill , be very afraid

Diane

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 19:07:09 PM »
@Diane Shall I pick you up on the way?  Be afraid, @Bill , be very afraid

@Bodgeitandscarper  yep, I’ve sharpened the pitchforks ready  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bill

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 19:08:42 PM »
 :scream: :laughing:

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
My favourite nightie pattern, is Butterick 5963.  I've made it a lot, and it's a very easy pattern.

Butterick 5963

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewCanDad

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2022, 14:24:27 PM »
 :laugh: thanks for the giggles and the links, much appreciated. As for sleeves, they don't scare me away (too much) as it's all a learning curve. Have done some (not much) apparel, just not much and still pretty clueless on the whole lol Time to learn though as I've been doing hats and bags for the last couple of years so time for a change (and I'd like a shirt or two for myself). Would really like too understand pattern drafting, maybe too old to learn now :scream:

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 15:49:49 PM »
@SewCanDad if you have an overlocker Simplicity 3696 is my go-to nightie pattern, but any plain tee-shirt pattern can be lengthened.  Just make a size or two bigger so that there's plenty of wiggle room.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.