The Sewing Place

Oh he doesn't know what he has let himself in for!

Missie

Oh he doesn't know what he has let himself in for!
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:50:10 AM »
So OH and I have our own hobbies, me collecting fabric (cos I've not got round to do any actual sewing for a while) and him cars.  He has been saying for ages that I should leave a machine at his but I've not bothered but now with the nice weather coming, he is wanting to do some work on his cars, leaving me with time on my hands and potential thumb twiddling whilst I'm at his..  He loves antiques and has collected trunks of various sizes for storage purposes.  He was planning on having a shift around and has given me the largest one (which is probably 3ft long by 2ft high) to store a machine in and a "few" other bits.  He said, "you won't be able to get much in there but at least it'll be in one place".  Poor man!  Has no idea how canny we can be when it comes to hiding, I mean storing fabric.  I will be able to fit so much, sooooooooooooo much in there, and extend my stash.  Gosh I'll have a stash spread across the south east  0_0

Ideas though for storage in a trunk so it isn't all one big heap of a mess gratefully received!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 10:00:11 AM by Missie »

Ploshkin

Re: Oh he doesn't know what he has let himself in for!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 09:00:05 AM »
That sounds like a result.  If fabric is squishy vacuum bags could be useful.  I keep lots of my bits and bobs in takeaway containers - you can stack a lot of those in a larger container and collecting them saves cooking  ;)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
My domed top storage trunk (never buy a domed top storage trunk) has a lift in /out tray in the top.

BTW does anybody want a domed top storage trunk???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »
My domed top storage trunk (never buy a domed top storage trunk) has a lift in /out tray in the top.

BTW does anybody want a domed top storage trunk???

He has one of those at the bedside, but of course nothing stays on top of it, so "my" trunk is going there as it will be used less often than the others.  Alas, no tray in mine.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »
I was going to suggest vacuum bags too.  You can get loads more in then!   :) and you can separate different fabrics so they’re easy to find. 
If you have a small machine it will leave more room for fabric and equipment. 
One of the shallow Really Useful Boxes with things like shears, scissors, etc.  so you can just grab it when you need to sew.  You might need to buy some duplicates.  So much easier than taking stuff back and forth. 

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
Oh @Missie , how exciting!  Stashes in two places!  Vacuum bags are a great idea, I bought some for the first time last year, and they work really well.  Now you just need a small-ish machine... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.