The Sewing Place

QAYG without sashing.

rubywishes

QAYG without sashing.
« on: April 17, 2022, 03:23:41 AM »
Preferred methods? :thinking:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

WildAtlanticWay

Re: QAYG without sashing.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 08:07:49 AM »
Have you laid out your quilt blocks to see what they look like or are you still in the planning stages?

I’ve just finished a QAYG quilt and sewed the blocks together, no sashing, added a backing fabric and brought it round to the front to provide the edge binding. Very basic but my first attempt.

I’ll post a pic later.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 08:45:59 AM »
I’ve just finished a QAYG quilt and sewed the blocks together, no sashing, added a backing fabric and brought it round to the front

@WildAtlanticWay ... Have you quilted through two layers or three ?

@BrendaP  is very good at QAYG without sashing. Ive done it only once .. but will be doing it again with Heathies quilt.

I found on my first attempt, The Big Brother 12 x 13 blocks = 72" x 78" before extra wide binding. I QAYG in two parts and  made the schoolboy error of letting the 505 get too close to the edges that were to be joined and the walking foot dragged a lil on those areas and consequently there were slight mismatches on a few of the blocks ...

... which was not much but bothered me enough for me to 'solve' the problem by appliquéing hearts at the affected intersections and a few more randomly across the rest of the quilt and no one is the wiser ... especially as Im the only person that sees it. Next time I will put some masking tape on the relevant edges to avoid that problem.

The backing was sewn through when I quilted the top and I turned the fabric under and slip-stitched it down after joining the top 2 sections together. So there is one, pretty much, invisible seam across the width of the quilt backing.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 09:54:44 AM »
I made this monster with QAYG and all over FMQ squiggles.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Assemble the top in strips about 12"-15" wide - with your 6" blocks that's two or three blocks wide. Don't go wider because it will make the quilting more difficult.  The first strip could be a little wider.

Cut the backing into strips to match but allow just a little extra width.  Same with the wadding.

Assemble the first sandwich and quilt it making sure that the quilting stops at least an inch away from the edge to be joined.

**  Trim the quilted backing to match the quilted top.  If there is a lot of wadding trim that too, but not essential.  It's more important that the wadding is a straight cut.

Attach the second strip of top to the first strip of top with the usual 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Attach the second strip of backing to the first strip of backing with the usual 1/4 inch seam allowance

Lay the whole lot out flat - on floor or a large table. 
Smooth out the second strip of backing and flip the second strip of top back over the already quilted bit.
Now position the second strip of wadding flush to the first strip.  If you feel it necessary you can hold it in position with huge (2"-3") basting stitches, but I didn't do that.  The join does not have to align with the joins in top and backing

Now flip the top strip over the wadding and use planty of pins to keep it in place.

Quilt the second strip making sure that the quilting goes over the join but again keep the last inch before the next join clear of any quilting.

Repeat from ** as many times as necessary but on the last strip take the quilting right to the edge.

Trim any excess wadding and voila! you have a quilt ready to bind.

If your design has borders that you don't want cut into pieces; make your strips to include the side borders but not the top and bottom borders.  Quilt as above but make sure that the quilting is kept at least an inch from top and bottom as well as from the side to be joined.  Then turn the quilt 90 degrees and add top and bottom borders as separate strips.

I hope that all makes sense!

ETA.  The backing will have joins so best if you choose a small all-over pattern or blender design fabric.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:54:44 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
I've only done it once but would do it again. Brenda is the expert. My only tip is to make sure everything is cut straight  :embarrassed:  :D
@WildAtlanticWay you need to work on the whole sandwich, 3 layers for qayg. How did you quilt and then add the backing? Is the backing loose?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »
@BrendaP Thankyou Brenda....will follow your instructions and see how we go :thumb:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »
Posting error. It only uploaded part of my post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:26:25 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 11:25:33 AM »
@Lowena   

Not sure if I’m going to explain this very well.

I did QAYG for each separate block then sewed them all together to make a huge square. I added another layer of wadding to the whole thing and added the backing fabric and pinned it, then quilted about 5 long lines as a stitch in the ditch following the lines of the blocks, to hold the 4-5 layers together.

It looks ok but I’ve probably done it wrong as I’m not always good at following instructions to the letter.

I also used a normal foot as I forgot about the walking foot as I’ve never actually used it.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
I understand what how you've done that WAW but can I ask when you put your hand palm-down on the quilt do you touch those SID quilting lines?

I think you might need to do a lil more quilting to hold all the layers together, maybe some horizontal lines too?

You did very well to quilt with a normal foot, I cant see any puckers anywhere ! Bravo!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 12:06:29 PM »
Thanks for explaining @WildAtlanticWay I understand what you did.
It certainly looks good
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 20:58:40 PM »
I'm in the process of free motion quilting my bird quilt by the method described by @BrendaP although mine is in just two sections, separated by the diagonal, since that is the way the strips fall.  I haven't got very far because my quilting thread keeps breaking     :boohoo:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 07:44:12 AM »
I’ve used the same method as @WildAtlanticWay ,from the book Quilt As You Go Made Modern,  but I wouldn’t do it again.  You still have to put the whole quilt through the machine when stitching in the ditch which defies the purpose in my opinion. 

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 09:18:24 AM »
I’ve used the same method as @WildAtlanticWay ,from the book Quilt As You Go Made Modern,  but I wouldn’t do it again.  You still have to put the whole quilt through the machine when stitching in the ditch which defies the purpose in my opinion.

I think that's the method where you seam the wadding as well, which means bulky seams, as well as getting at least half of the quilt under the machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.