The Sewing Place

Quilts you'll never make again, and those you will

Pearl

Quilts you'll never make again, and those you will
« on: April 20, 2022, 15:14:29 PM »
I will never, ever make another quilt using Marti Michell templates.  (To be accurate, I haven't made a quilt using them, but I have made all the components out of a gazillion stupid little fiddly pieces.)

I will make another log cabin quilt.  I've made two before and enjoy the process. 
I'd like to make another Bargello quilt.  Maybe a smaller one. 

How about you?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 15:53:23 PM by Pearl »

Lowena

Re: Quilts you'll never make again, and those you will
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 16:33:46 PM »
I'm actually not a fan of either bargello or log cabin quilts. I'm not keen on Storm at Sea or disappearing nine patch either  :embarrassed:
Picky...moi?? :D
I love star quilts of any description, like working with both hsts and snow balls.I enjoy working with precuts too.
Now to answer the question
I will never make another qayg quilt as I find them fiddly and joy-draining
I will definitely make more quilts using the Lintotts patterns. They're a joy to work with.
P.S. I feel a starry quilt stirring in my brain  :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 16:39:16 PM »
I won't say never again as I haven't made that many quilts although it's more than I can think of at the moment.
I've got a Lintott jelly roll pattern on the cards as well as a stained glass window effect and a Susan Briscoe Japanese design. all the fabrics are in place, I just need to get started.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 18:24:32 PM »
I have no desire to make any quilt a second time, always something different.

I did make 'two storm at sea's but they are very different, not only in the way the colours go together, but with very different border treatments.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 12:34:17 PM »
I could see making another log cabin quilt. But I am unlikely to make any other quilts (no matter the design) in Queen size, unless I buy a much bigger machine.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 12:49:50 PM »
Come on peeps,join in! You know I need inspiration...
@Iminei , @Ploshkin@twopence , @Sheilago  @Kenora @everyone  :grouphug:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:52:51 PM by Lowena »

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 15:56:09 PM »
I am not a real quilter.  I've made a few quilts with alternating log cabins and 9 patches.  I'll do the log cabins in one color and the 9 patches in another.  So for example, I have 9 patches in purple/black and the log cabins in various shades of yellow.  I also do simple things like alternating blocks of red/black, green/pink, etc. I don't enjoy piecing many small pieces together.  I thought I'd do that mystery quilt from last year and the second block scared me off completely.

I have three large batik cat panels and I was thinking to use them in a single quilt making only six large blocks.  Not sure what the non panels will be yet. 

So I'm probably not providing anything helpful here.

Diane

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 19:03:21 PM »
I'd love to make another quilt, it was the one piece of sewing that i could just totally get lost in. There are so many designs that i really don't know what i would like to make. The one thing that i did want to do was make a weighted quilt/comfort blanket for the winter months, something that i could create in memory of my late sister, maybe applique her name onto and add some other appliques of things that i know she liked.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

twopence

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 20:42:43 PM »
Sorry @Lowena not much going on here yet but I do have plans with my new machine and cabinet. 

You could try your own version of Helen Howes Modern Quilt.  It's free cutting so something new to try when making the blocks for it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 22:06:14 PM »
As I said on another thread, log cabin will always be a favourite.  I also like stars though generally I'm not a big fan of working with triangles.
I haven't yet done a quilt pattern that I wouldn't repeat ( I haven't actually made many - eight I think) but I would never do two the same.
I think I will probably avoid jelly rolls in the future, they don't seem to have the right balance of darks and lights for a quilt.
Life's too short for ironing.

William

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 13:34:21 PM »
Generally i stay away from "i will never..." but i can say that smallish fiddly designs are not really my thing. I can see doing another race quilt and i have various blocks on my list... Would like to try a QAYG...
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »
I am not really a quilter but have just read this and do think a jelly roll is to blame for putting me off quilting :laughing:

I bought it all full of enthusiasm and it was not cheap it was a moda so I thought good quality, bought some backing fabric etc when I started I was covered in threads, it frayed so badly I ended up scrapping my ideas and labelling myself a non quilter. :laughing:

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 10:42:08 AM »
Oh my dear I am so going to get you in my clutches! Come to mine for a weekend and I'll show you the joy ... and yes Jelly roll are the work of the  :devil:

As SOON as you open them they fray, a lot of them are cut off grain or not to the right size!

Cmon Cmon, you know you want to !! Either that or come down and  turn me into a PJ Maestro!!!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 10:49:14 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 11:54:10 AM »
I love jelly rolls....so there!! :P

Lisalou1965

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »
I usually cut all my own - no precuts for two reasons: One, they are more expensive, and two i have enough trouble with fabric which is not cut straight when I buy it in the first place  :rant:

Quilts I would do again? I can see myself doing any of the designs I have attempted so far at least once more; having said that, there are soooo many that I still want to try  that I think I may never get around to doing anything more than once!

At the moment I love doing HSTs, but who knows what will be my next love?

L
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time