The Sewing Place

Quilts you'll never make again, and those you will

Acorn

Re: Quilts you'll never make again, and those you will
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 11:47:51 AM »
Some companies charge a quarter of the metre price for FQs - Doughtys for one - and also cut them well.  I love FQ packs.   :love:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 12:56:45 PM »
Most precuts are the same price as the yardage. As I wouldn't know if something wasn't cut straight ... It doesn't bother me  :embarrassed:
I must get back to making quilts.....give me a good shove my friends...pleeeaaase !!
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
I will never make another Bargello, disappearing nine patch, log cabin or star themed quilt again.  Bargellos require just the right aspect to be viewed otherwise they just look like a mess, and traditional quilt blocks leave me non-plussed.  And now I retire to my corner with a glass of red in hand and a grumpy frame of mind.  :\
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2022, 08:31:35 AM »
Bargellos require just the right aspect to be viewed otherwise they just look like a mess
That's why I've never done one.  It's tempting because they look good in pictures especially the 3D ones. When I did a convergence quilt I wouldn't say it looked a mess but the effect that you see in pictures isn't there at close quarters.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »
Exqueeeze me @Ploshkin  ...

Your convergence quilt was divine ....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 09:14:54 AM »
Yes, in pictures,  but up close you don't get the same visual effect so I understand what  @datcat23  means about bargellos (or is that bargelloes or bargello like buffalo?)
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 12:51:26 PM »
 Like @BrendaP , I avoid making any quilt again. I always like doing something new. I’ve only ever made one quilt with a dark background: a wedding gift made of African fabric with black sashing and I did
like how it looked. I’ve always meant to try dark sashing again, but never have, perhaps because most of the quilts I make are for babies.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 12:54:18 PM by Sheilago »

KayK

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 14:32:21 PM »
... and yes Jelly roll are the work of the  :devil:

As SOON as you open them they fray, a lot of them are cut off grain or not to the right size!

Indeed they are - I have just finished a bag made from a jelly roll, and had to bin some of the strips as they were way off - I couldn't even make the handles out of them, they were so bad! (bought some handles from Amazon - I know they are a little far apart as I am a shortie and didn't want the bag dragging its bottom on the floor!)
I have probably wasted a third of the jelly roll!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 16:10:35 PM »
send 'em my way I've never had a moments bother with them...Bali Pops are my favourite
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »
That bag is lovely @KayK, the colours are so cheerful.   

I love the idea of jelly rolls as I find it hard to choose colours

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 10:48:46 AM »
Gorgeous bag - I love bumbleberries, and that shows them off beautifully.   :perfect10:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 13:51:29 PM »
@KayK Lovely bag  :perfect10: , right up my street
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bjay

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2022, 17:48:52 PM »
I said after my experiences with Flying Geese on the first quilt I made on here

I said I would never ever use the block again. I had so many problems with the bleeping things

But here i am making a chevron border for the zig zag quilt and enjoying it -why?  because @Iminei  put a tutorial - Flying Geese - The Weird and Wonderful No Waste Way - and it is almost easy peasy
Trying to find my way on the Dark side